Obama calls on students to ‘fire up’

2008 Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama encouraged a crowd of 4,000 Madison students and community members to get "fired up" for the future of American politics Monday.

As he encouraged attendees to get involved in his campaign by phoning or caucusing, one student said the senator was "articulate, composed and encouraging."

"I thought he did a great job. He seemed very appropriate for the audience," said University of Wisconsin junior Talia Pines. "A lot of people were saying how he couldn't have performed better considering who his audience was today — a bunch of college kids."

Pines said in terms of attracting the college crowd, Obama's youthfulness plays in his favor.

"Some people say it is a bad thing, others say it's a good thing," Pines said. "Because he's known for his young age, that in itself might appeal more to people who are young adults."

Obama's national field director Temo Figueroa said the campaign has paid special attention to younger votes, adding student votes are "going to be enormous, particularly in the early states."

"We have traditional organizing going on in Iowa — we're reaching out to the traditional caucus voters, but we also have an entire program set aside for the college vote," Figueroa said.

According to Figueroa, since the minimum age to participate in the Iowa caucus is 17, the campaign is focusing on high school voters, dubbing them "Barack-Stars."

The Obama campaign is relying on a variety of other campaign strategies, but Figueroa said the student vote is "one of the tools in the arsenal that we have right now."

Figueroa also said the University of Wisconsin has one of the "strongest, most active Students for Obama chapters," which includes 150 individuals who volunteered to help at Monday's event.

UW Students for Obama Vice Chair Ami ElShareif said the rally went better than they could ever have expected.

"There were so many students there today, and the number … of people who were there greatly exceeded what he ever could have hoped for," ElShareif said.

She said one of the highlights of the day was seeing how the work of her organization paid off.

"I think the best part was really just seeing how excited people in the crowd were and to know that people from our organization helped put the event together," ElShareif said.

ElShareif added that Obama posed for a picture with the group's members and took time to thank the organization for the work they have done for his campaign.

ElShareif said she wanted students to understand Obama's message today and to spread the work until Election Day.

"I want students to go with that feeling of hope and walk out the door and know that if they vote this man for president, they're going to make a difference," ElShareif said.

Despite hearing Obama speak yesterday, Pines said she still wasn't sure which Democratic candidate she will choose to support.

"I agree with a lot of things he had to say, I agree with a lot of things that Hillary Clinton has to say," Pines said. "I support him, and I support Hillary. I'm torn between the two."

UW junior Rachel Lansing also said she was undecided, and looked forward to hearing more from the other presidential hopefuls.

"Today reaffirmed my commitment to him, but I'm also keeping an open mind to the other candidates," Lansing said.