Obama to visit Madison today

[media-credit name=’CARL JAEGER/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]Obama_CJ[/media-credit]Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., will be speaking to University of Wisconsin students and Madison residents Monday as part of his "Countdown to Change" tour.

UW Students for Barack Obama have been working on the event for the past month, and funding and logistics chair Bryon Eagon said that "everyone is very excited."

"The anticipation has been building for a couple weeks now, and we're really excited to hear the senator in Madison," Eagon said.

Eagon said Students for Obama has been chalking sidewalks, hanging fliers and sending out e-mails in an effort to get the message out about the senator’s visit.

"Our goal has been to make sure that every student on campus knows that this event is going on and how they can come," Eagon said.

Students for Obama volunteer coordinator Maggie Raiken said the event has received a significant amount of student support.

"So far, we have a ton of volunteers that are helping us out, and we are just hoping that things run smoothly," Raiken said. "We're just preparing the best we can to get as many students there as possible."

Raiken added the student vote would play a significant role in the 2008 presidential election.

"You have to count on the votes of students for this election — it's a crucial vote, and without their vote [Obama] is not going to win," Raiken said. "I really feel he has a great opportunity with all the students on campus."

Eagon said he hopes Obama will be welcomed by both UW students and the Madison community.

"We're hoping to show students and the community that Barack Obama is the best candidate for them," Eagon said. "We're hoping to show Barack Obama that he has the support of Madison and, more specifically, the majority of students on campus."

Eagon said tickets will still be available before the event for a $30 donation to Obama's campaign, or $15 for students with valid identification cards.

Eagon said security for the event will be similar to airport security, and attendees are asked not to bring backpacks or large purses if possible. Students are also asked not to bring signs to the event, as official campaign signs will be provided.

The event will take place at the Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center. Doors will open at 9:30 a.m. — one hour prior to what was previously planned due to security and the number of tickets sold.