Doyle to hold special budget negotiation meeting today

The Wisconsin Legislature will convene in a special session today in an attempt to pass the 2007-09 Wisconsin state budget.

The budget is more than 100 days late, and Democratic Gov. Jim Doyle called the special session after negotiations between Democrats and Republicans stalled.

"There had been real progress in the budget negotiations over the past several weeks," said Carla Vigue, spokesperson for Doyle. "However, it came a point, and it was time to close the deal and sign the budget, and Assembly Republicans, instead of making an effort to close that deal, they started moving back in the opposite direction."

Both parties have failed to agree on issues like funding for smoking cessation programs, various taxes, health care and spending for the University of Wisconsin System.

"This compromise bill will reflect more of a middle ground, and the governor won't get everything he wants," Vigue said. "But he realizes Wisconsin needs a budget passed now, and so he's willing to make some compromises. That said, he will not sign a budget that slashes the university system the way the Assembly Republicans proposed."

Josh Wescott, communications director for Senate Majority Leader Judy Robson, D-Beloit, said Senate Democrats would also like to see the UW System receive more funding.

Under the new budget compromise, the UW System would receive about $25 million less than originally proposed. But without a state budget, no financial aid packages can be distributed to students.

"We've really seen in the last few weeks the tangible real-life impact of not having a budget," Wescott said. "We have over 6,500 University of Wisconsin System college kids that have been left in limbo."

Wescott anticipates the budget passing in the Senate today. Those in the Assembly, however, are not so optimistic.

"We believe that this is going to be defeated by a partisan vote," said John Murray, spokesperson for Assembly Speaker Mike Huebsch, R-West Salem. "It is very likely going to fail."

Assembly Republicans are upset that Doyle abandoned budget talks and called a special session.

"I think the speaker is a bit disappointed that the governor has chosen to go this route because we were making progress on budget negotiations," Murray said. "We actually think this is going to slow down bringing conclusion to the budget discussion."

A major roadblock for Republicans is a variety of tax measures proposed by the Democrats, as the Republicans do not want to see major tax increases.

"Asking the hard-working families of Wisconsin to dig into their pocket to give state government another $1.1 billion is not the right direction for our state," Murray said.

Several different outcomes are possible if the budget is not passed soon, but it will likely be discussed again in conference committee in an attempt to reach an agreement.

"There's certainly going to be some shared pain and some heartburn for all, but again, it's mid-October, the budget's more than 100 days late, and at least from the Democratic side, we really feel it's long overdue to get this puppy done," Wescott said.