Police still searching for leads in unsolved assault

The Madison Police Department issued a release Thursday seeking the community's help in catching the perpetrator of a sexual assault and rape that allegedly occurred two years ago Monday.

The victim, a 22-year-old University of Wisconsin student at the time, was on her way to a coffee house at approximately 8:15 p.m. Oct. 15, 2005, when the sexual assault occurred.

According to the release, the victim had just walked past the intersection of Division Street and Eastwood Drive on Madison's east side when she realized someone was behind her. The suspect allegedly grabbed her and pulled her into a nearby grassy area where he raped her. The release also states the suspect threatened to kill her.

After assaulting the victim, the release states the suspect took off with her purse.

As the rapist has not yet been caught, the MPD urges anyone with information about him to come forward and call Crime Stoppers at 266-6014. According to the release, callers can remain anonymous and may even be eligible for a cash reward of up to $1000.

Assistant District Attorney Mike Verveer said he cannot recall the last time the MPD has put a request like this out to the community.

"It is not common, be it a sexual assault case or any other case," Verveer said. "It's rather unprecedented for the MPD, or any police department in my experience, to try to solicit citizen recollection of crimes that occurred in the fairly distant past."

According to the MPD release, the victim described the rapist as an Asian male in his mid-to-late 20s. He is approximately 5 feet, 8 inches tall "with an average build, unkempt collar length black hair and well-defined cheekbones."

The release also stated the suspect was wearing black pants, a gray sweatshirt and a black baseball hat. The victim could not detect an accent.

Although Verveer said he did not know why the police department issued such a request about this specific case, he is happy to hear they did.

"I think it's really a wise move to see if this sort of effort could make a difference," Verveer said. "I don't see any downside to it whatsoever."