Residents share transit plan issues

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]RTA_BC[/media-credit]FITCHBURG — More than 30 Dane County residents voiced their opinions regarding the proposed Regional Transportation Authority Wednesday at a nearly three-hour public hearing.

While the balance was tipped in opposition to the RTA, there were many residents who spoke at the meeting on both sides of the issue — all with strong feelings on the proposal.

The meeting was hosted by Dane County Board Supervisors Jack Martz, Gerald Jensen and Mike Willett, as well as state Rep. Brett Davis, R-Oregon, to allow residents an opportunity they haven't previously had to voice their opinions.

According to Jensen, the RTA proposal, which would implement a half-cent sales tax to fund transportation systems such as light rail and trolleys, raced by both the city and county governments without the chance for effective debate.

"This was flying by, and government really doesn't work that way. It usually takes its time and listens to what the public has to say on an issue," Jensen said. "That wasn't happening here, and that's why I voted against the resolution in August."

Several residents shared Jensen's concern, saying that the Dane County Board and the Madison City Council passed the resolution without listening to what the people had to say.

"When has the government ever acted that fast, except when they really don't want us to know what's going on," said Edie Eastman, a Madison resident who spoke in opposition of the RTA.

Eastman said she spoke on behalf of the Dane County taxpayers of modest incomes who are concerned about yet another increase in taxes.

"We are a high income tax state, a high property tax state and a high sales tax state, and you're asking us to go higher," Eastman said.

Dane County resident Bill Richardson also voiced concern over the consequences of a possible light rail system the RTA could set in place.

"This is a surface rail system, unlike Chicago, so that means every highway is going to be blocked 13-16 minutes per hour to let the train go by. That means about a 20-minute delay for each stop," Richardson said. "I hope you will kill it in the Legislature; I think it's a monumentally bad idea."

Richardson also stressed the fact that light rail systems are not the most up-to-date of transportation systems.

"It's like offering a telegraph instead of an iPhone," Richardson said.

Other residents, however, said they favored the RTA, as it would provide funding for systems of transportation that would help reduce oil dependence, pollution and climate change.

"It's our duty as citizens to do everything we can to cut back on our car emissions," Madison resident Phyllis Hansbrouck said. "This is a very tiny step in the right direction. We need as much public transportation as possible, as soon as possible."

Rosanne Lindsay of Fitchburg also stressed the benefits of an RTA and said the Madison area needs to start thinking on a regional level.

"It just makes sense in this day and age when gas prices are going up, carbon emissions are going up," Lindsay said. "Other successful cities have great transportation systems. Madison can also be a great city in that respect."

Dane County resident Sam Johnson, however, said he doubts a light rail or trolley system would help solve these problems.

"If no one's riding the trains, that's not going to solve the problem," Johnson said. "The community is overwhelmingly opposed to these ideas, and they're very upset with the way money is being spent currently."

After nearly three hours of public comment, Martz ensured residents there would be at least one or two more opportunities for residents to voice their concerns. The Dane County Board will announce the date of the next public hearing to be held in Sun Prairie within the next couple weeks.