Cieslewicz will represent city at Jerusalem’s mayoral conference

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Estimates_JS[/media-credit]Mayor Dave Cieslewicz will soon join more than 60 mayors from around the world to discuss common issues their cities face at a conference in Jerusalem, Israel.

The event, marking the 25th anniversary of the conference, will run from Oct. 13-17 and will be hosted by Jerusalem Mayor Uri Lupolianski.

"It's just a chance to learn about how different cities pursue different kinds of policies," said George Twigg, communications director for Cieslewicz. "[Jerusalem has] a culture that may be very different, but it also faces many of the same challenges and issues that Madison does."

According to Steve Morrison, executive director of the Madison Jewish Community Council, each year Lupolianski extends invitations to many mayors from around the world.

Six U.S. mayors were among those receiving invitations this year, according to Twigg, including the mayors of Providence, R.I.; Baton Rouge, La.; Dayton, Ohio; Cincinnati and Green Bay.

"[The mayor] thought it would be a unique opportunity to learn how [the Jerusalem] community addresses some of the issues that they have," Twigg said. "Hopefully he'll come back with some new and innovative ideas."

Although the event is cosponsored by the American Jewish Congress-Council for World Jewry and the U.S. Conference of Mayors, Morrison doubts religion will be a topic of discussion.

"That would really surprise me," Morrison said. "I think it will deal with issues that all mayors confront."

Morrison said issues regarding health, social welfare and human welfare have been on the conference's agenda in the past. He also doubts public safety will be discussed at the conference, as he said the terrorism Jerusalem currently faces is hardly comparable to the safety issues of most other cities.

Morrison emphasized the conference is not political, but merely a chance for mayors of all countries to discuss common concerns.

"The mayor of Jerusalem has invited mayors from around the world to grapple with some issues that they deal with," Morrison said. "I think it's a really great thing that our mayor's going."

Cieslewicz's attendance at the conference will be the first time a Madison mayor has been in attendance.