Police to hold safety meeting for students

University of Wisconsin students will have the opportunity to voice their safety concerns to the Madison Police Department tonight at a downtown community safety meeting.

The meeting, which will be held at 7 p.m. at Memorial Union, will include a presentation from MPD Capt. Mary Schauf as well as an opportunity for students and other downtown residents to ask questions to central police district officers.

"I think that going to this meeting will help students get more attuned about what's going on and hopefully find out more ways to help address crime," said Ald. Eli Judge, District 8, who represents one of the four downtown areas. "I think it's important that students find out about how safety is going."

According to City Council President Mike Verveer, District 4, who also represents a downtown district, these meetings can have a significant impact on city happenings. Verveer cited a safety meeting held on the southwest side of Madison this past summer at which close to 800 residents voiced their safety concerns.

"A couple days after that, [Mayor Dave Cieslewicz] dropped his streetcar initiative because people argued that it was a distraction from the true issue of public safety," Verveer said. "I think these meetings also deserve much of the credit for the mayor's budget that he introduced today being focused on public safety."

Verveer added he has received several complaints from students wondering why police write tickets for minor things like underage drinking when there are more serious crimes going on, and hopes this might be an issued addressed at the meeting.

"I would hope that some of those students that articulate those comments would say those to the cops [tonight]," Verveer said. "I think it would be more meaningful to say it directly to the cops."

Verveer also said he anticipates that Halloween will be a hot topic discussed at the meeting.

"It's an absolutely open meeting, and everyone is encouraged to attend," Verveer said. "I really hope we have a good turnout. … I know crime is an issue students do care deeply about."