Study: State has largest reading gap

Although Wisconsin students tested above the national average on the 2007 National Assessment of Education Progress, the gap between reading scores among white and minority students is the largest in the country.

A study released one week ago found black Wisconsin fourth graders scored an average of 38 points less than white students, and black Wisconsin fifth graders scored 39 points less then their white counterparts.

Behind Wisconsin in the fourth grade category was Nebraska with a 36-point gap, and Connecticut with a 35-point gap. At the eighth grade level, Wisconsin students fell behind Michigan, with a 31-point gap, and Connecticut, with a 30-point gap.

Out of a possible 500 points, the average score was 229 among all Wisconsin fourth graders and 270 among eight graders, according to the study released by the U.S. Department of Education.

"We're definitely concerned that there's such a dramatic achievement gap between white students and students of color," said State of Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction communications officer Patrick Gasper. "We're also really concerned with what seems to be an increase in the number of students who appear to be in poverty in Wisconsin, and our concern that that is partially driving our achievement gap."

The study also found that the gap between low-income students — defined as students who qualify for free or reduced-price school meals — and the average scores is significant.

"Clearly this issue — the minority student achievement gap — every urban school district in the country is confronted with and working to close that gap," said Madison Metropolitan School District communications specialist Joe Quick.

Quick added the problem is more than a Wisconsin issue.

"The issue is one anyone who operates an urban school district is aware of, and it is a concern that needs to be addressed universally around the country," Quick said.

Quick added it was impossible to judge how individual school districts fair in the assessment, as data is only broken down at a state level.

Despite what the findings may suggest, Gasper said the state is working on minimizing the gap.

"With respect to schools, one of the things we're really trying to focus on is really emphasizing early childhood education, getting students prepared and ready for learning as soon at they start school," Gasper said.

One major step the state is pushing, Gasper said, is attempting to get school districts to start 4-year-old kindergarten classes to get students "on the same level."

"If you get students in, and you have to write curriculum for those 4-year-olds, you can get them prepared for school," Gasper said. "Research and studies have shown that 4-year-old kindergarten is one of the best investments you can make in producing, and in effect, actually eliminating the achievement gap before it starts."’

Wisconsin has also started the Student Achievement Guaranteed Education, which funnels extra state funding to school districts to keep class sizes low, Gasper said.

SAGE also allows teachers, students and parents to "benefit from more one-on-one interaction," Gasper added.