Hybrid buses hit bump in transit

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Hybrid_JS[/media-credit]Madison Metro's five new hybrid-electric transit buses are taking a little longer than expected to get out on the road.

The new members of the Metro fleet, which are the first hybrid buses in Wisconsin, are a part of Madison's 100K Clean Energy Challenge and its commitment to reduce citywide carbon dioxide emissions.

After being unveiled Sept. 12, the hybrids were expected to be running their routes sometime this week, but technical difficulties having to do with speaker software have kept Madison Metro from putting all the buses into regular use.

Two of the buses have started running occasionally on route 80 on the University of Wisconsin campus. The buses are not yet in regular use, however, because many drivers still need to be trained.

These two hybrids are specially equipped for student riders with extra-wide aisles and seats that flip up for more space. Many UW students have already tried out the new buses.

"They really stand out," said UW freshman Ann Rogers, who took her first ride on a hybrid bus this week. "I think that Madison getting these buses will encourage other universities to get hybrids on their campuses as well."

Rob Kennedy, manager of transportation demand management, said it is unusual for campuses to purchase buses, but this was a strange situation in which UW wanted to jumpstart Madison Metro’s purchase of hybrids.. He added the buses have been getting a lot of positive attention.

"A lot of the drivers have been saying that people on the street will stop and point at the buses." Kennedy said. "I think that's quite a reaction."

The buses are expected to make a positive impact on the environment by reducing emissions and conserving fuel. They are expected to save 25 percent on fuel costs, which will enable them to help pay for themselves.

"In the long run, I think it will be better that we spent the money now to get the buses," said UW freshman Rachel Schiller, who also tried out the new hybrids this week. "It's awesome that we can have these more efficient buses. … They're great for the environment."

Madison Metro and TDM said they plan on seeing how the buses work out before investing in any more hybrids.

"We’re going to monitor the results of these and determine the cost of the hybrids and our savings in terms of fuel and environment, and then we’ll decide in a year or so," said Madison Metro representative Julie Maryott-Walsch. "We want to see how these perform first."

Maryott-Walsch said all five hybrids should be running regular routes within the next couple weeks.