Vendors fight for Library Mall spots

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Food_Carts_JS[/media-credit]Cart vendors are already competing for spots to sell their goods next year on Library Mall and Capitol Square, as there is a record-high number of applicants this year for the several dozen locations available.

Madison's Vending Oversight Committee met Wednesday night to discuss the details regarding the 2008 vendors.

"This week we are going around checking the carts, tasting the food, and deciding if we're going to renew the license," said Ald. Thuy Pham-Remmele, District 20, who sits on the committee. "This is the time of year when their licenses are being renewed."

According to City Council President Mike Verveer, District 4, who is also a member of the Vending Oversight Committee, the city actually has judges who will go around to all the carts that submitted applications for licenses this Saturday. The results will be announced early next week.

"Everyone is judged based on a set criteria of many factors," Verveer said.

Vendors can also receive bonus points for a number of things, such as seniority, the aesthetics of the cart itself, and the uniqueness of the food.

This year, the committee received 24 applications from existing vendors, with an additional 12 applications from new vendors seeking a spot on either Library Mall or the Capitol Square.

Some of the new applicants include, "Mad Dogs," "Just Coffee," "Latin Flavors" and "Fibs," which would sell Chicago-style "fine Italian beef and sausage."

There is a wide variety of food within the new applicants’ menus, which include Greek, vegetarian, East Indian, and Mexican cuisine.

Verveer said applicants are rewarded for scoring high among the judges.

"If you score the highest you get first choice to pick any of our several dozen vending spots and you have that spot for the entire year," Verveer said. "A few years we actually ran out of spots and there was a waiting list of a few carts."

Verveer added the vendors who receive licenses "pay a pretty hefty fee" for the right to sell their food on State Street.

Those who receive a license next week will be able to set up their carts beginning April 15, 2008.