Man seeking sex taps on window of UW students

Two male University of Wisconsin students were asked to have sex by a 56-year-old man who came to their doorstep Monday night.

Kevin Howard allegedly tapped on the window of the students' residence on the 1200 block of Spring Street at approximately 10:33 p.m. When the first 22-year-old victim came to the door, Howard asked him if he was "interested in having recreational sex," according to a Madison Police Department release.

After the propositioned student slammed the door in Howard's face, the student's roommate, also 22, followed Howard on his bike.

"He got close enough to the suspect where he was then contacted by the suspect," said Joel DeSpain, MPD public information officer.

DeSpain added Howard allegedly put his hand on the shoulder area of the student and asked him to have oral sex.

MPD officers located the suspect in the area later that night and charged him with two accounts of disorderly conduct. According to DeSpain, this isn't the first time police have responded to an incident of Howard displaying inappropriate behavior toward UW students.

"We contacted the same individual from the case last night back on May 1," said Sgt. Clark Brunner of the University of Wisconsin Police Department. Brunner said the incident last May took place in the Wendt Library on North Randall Avenue.

"The officers responded to a report of someone drinking alcohol in one of the bathrooms and trying to speak with people using the bathroom," Brunner said. "A victim complained the suspect put his hands on his shoulders outside the restroom and gave the victim his name and said, 'Are you shocked?'"

Brunner said the victim was disturbed by the incident, and when officers arrived, they asked Howard to exit the library so they could speak with him outside.

The officers gave Howard both a disorderly conduct citation and an alcohol use on university land citation. As both are UW citations, Brunner said a court appearance was not mandatory, and he does not know if Howard decided to appear in court.