Robberies spike in campus area

A number of strong-armed robberies have hit Madison streets, as the Madison Police Department reported four attacks in less than 48 hours.

The four recent attacks raised concerns in the MPD.

“We want to alert people that this is taking place and to be cognitive of it. Try not to walk alone. Walk in well-lit areas. Don’t be on your cell-phone,” said Joel DeSpain, MPD public information officer. “If you think someone is following you, get to a public area as soon as possible.”

The first of the four attacks occurred Tuesday around 5:40 p.m.

According to an MPD news release, a 38-year-old woman’s purse was stolen from her at South Transfer Point.

The suspect allegedly came from behind and ripped the bag out of her hand, running with another suspect out of the transfer point. The suspects were last seen on foot on Badger Road heading for Ann Street.

The second incident occurred later Tuesday around 9:28 p.m., when Madison Police responded to a robbery on the 600 block of West Mifflin Street.

The 21-year-old male University of Wisconsin student reported he was jumped by two men. He was punched by one suspect while the other dug in his pockets, looking for his wallet. The student fought back, and the suspects did not retrieve any of his belongings.

On Wednesday at about 10:10 p.m., the MPD responded to another incident on the 100 block of East Gilman Street.

The 26-year-old female was walking westbound on Gilman Street when the suspect approached her from behind, asking for cigarettes. When she turned around, the suspect allegedly grabbed her purse and began running toward Wisconsin Avenue.

The latest attack occurred the same day only about a half hour later. The victim was also a 26 year old female.

An MPD news release states that the victim was walking southbound on Mills Street when one suspect grabbed her from behind around the neck. The second suspect grabbed her purse.

She was finally released with a minor scrape to the hand, and the two suspects were last seen running westbound on Drake Street.

“We do not see this as anything similar to the strong-armed robberies that took place in the summer of 2006 with intoxicated people walking home and getting robbed,” DeSpain said.

DeSpain said it is too early to tell if the perpetrators in each incident are the same.

“There is a possibility of links, but until further investigation is conducted, there is no link as of now,” DeSpain said.

There have been no arrests in any of the four cases.

“Any time we see something resembling patterns, we want to get it out to the public and alert them,” DeSpain said.

With the weekend and the Wisconsin-Iowa football night game quickly approaching, the police department urges residents to be aware of their safety. Although police forces will be increased, it is also the duty of students to be smart and use common sense.

"Don’t over-serve yourself early, or you’ll never get to kickoff,” DeSpain said.