City focuses on safety for 2007 Halloween festivities

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]Halloween_BC[/media-credit]Preparations for the infamous Madison Halloween celebration have begun.

At a meeting Thursday night, members of the Downtown Coordinating Committee met with those organizing the event to start hammering out the details. Capt. Mary Schauf from the Madison Police Department, Madison Alcohol Policy Coordinator Joel Plant and Dave Maynard of Frank Productions shared the status of their plans.

"It's going to be very similar to last year," Plant said, adding the most significant change is the addition of Frank Productions to help handle entertainment, ticketing and private funding.

"With Frank Productions on board, this allows the city to focus on what the city should be focusing on, and that is safety," Plant said.

Schauf informed the committee that the police department has been working on fencing for the area, traffic, parking and staffing the event. She said because Halloween weekend coincides with the homecoming football game again this year, the department is expecting many out-of-town visitors.

"I think that adds a certain advantage to the event because it brings in a whole different user," Schauf said.

In terms of police staffing, the plan looks similar to last year, which includes mounted officers.

"We're just looking at ways that we can get the most for the resources we have," Schauf said. "We don't want to take the chance with anybody's safety."

Schauf also mentioned there will be mobile teams of officers to seek out problem areas, such as house parties.

According to Maynard, Frank Productions will be adding a third, smaller stage to State Street this year in addition to the two big stages from last year. The new stage will be located at Peace Park. "What we'd like to do is bring back the costume contest and some fun audience participation events that would happen there," Maynard said.

The national shows, however, will be limited to the two big stages. Maynard said Frank Productions will be announcing the lineup for Freak Fest 2007 in the beginning of October.

Frank Productions also handled the recruiting of sponsors for the event. So far, Pepsi and Milio's Sandwiches have signed on for the festivities.

"In addition to just coming on board with some cash, they are also going to be doing some vending on State Street with water and sodas and sandwiches," Maynard said.

The tentative starting time for the music Saturday night is 7 p.m., and the event will close down by 1:30 a.m. There will be no events or ticketing Friday night.

Tickets will be available for sale both at businesses on State Street and on the Internet, according to current plans. The University Book Store has already agreed to be one of the outlets selling tickets.

"Hopefully it would also be beneficial to them to generate foot traffic into them as well," Maynard said.

Tickets will also be available online at Ticketmaster.com and at all Ticketmaster locations starting October 5.