Tavern gets new image

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Bullfeathers_BC[/media-credit]University of Wisconsin students take note: The popular Bull Feathers bar is no more.

In its place, however, is the Ramhead Rathskeller, a newly renovated German-themed bar — complete with German beer on tap, large German drinking vessels, and a new menu featuring American food with German flourishes.

"It's a new management," owner Richard Lyshek said. "It's just a new entity and a new theme — more of a German-themed bar."

Lyshek, who has owned Bull Feathers on State Street for 15 years, said he wanted to bring something to the area that isn't there already.

"We're trying to bring a little slice of Munich and the beer hall atmosphere to State Street," Lyshek said.

According to City Council President Mike Verveer, the Alcohol License Review Committee suspended Bull Feathers' alcohol license for a couple weeks in the beginning of September.

"Bull Feathers has had a nasty reputation with the cops in the last few years, although I'm not sure if it was completely deserved," Verveer said. "Underage drinking generally doesn't get me too excited."

Verveer suggested the suspension could have been an impetus for the change.

"In part, it makes sense that this would be the time to undergo some major cleaning," Verveer said. "Perhaps it was a wise business move by the owner."

In terms of a change in management, however, Verveer said he is not aware of the bar changing hands, a move that would require approval from the Alcohol License Review Committee.

Verveer said in addition to Bull Feathers, Lyshek used to be the manager at the Stillwaters bar that was located where the restaurant Cos?