Motel troubles on public’s radar

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Public_Safety_BC[/media-credit]Due to recent signs of chronic illegal drug use, prostitution and violence at some Madison motels, members of the Public Safety Review Board discussed an ordinance Monday that would prohibit motels from renting rooms by the hour.

Members raised concerns about illegal activities in these motels after a man was found murdered in the Kings Inn Motel near the Beltline.

Chief of Police John Davenport said at the meeting that he recognizes many motel owners establish their own rules about their guests and keep an eye out for suspicious or illegal activity. However, he also said he realizes this is not always the case.

"A very small number of [inn keepers] are abusing the system," Davenport said. "Some don't care how they [rent rooms] as long as they get money for it."

About 11/2 years ago, members of the Chula Vista Police Department in California visited the Madison Police Department and briefed them about several initiatives, one of which was a major analysis of problems related to transient motels, or motels that rent by the hour.

The result of the analysis was a comprehensive ordinance calling for strict guest and visitor screening, access control, proactive security guards and posted house rules in Chula Vista.

Madison's Public Safety Review Board discussed the creation of a similar ordinance that would curb illegal activity in budget motels. The ordinance in question, however, is much less elaborate than Chula Vista's. It merely prohibits the operation of transient motels.

"My concern was perhaps we were crafting an ordinance that was not sufficiently ambitious if we had a problem comparable to Chula Vista," City Council President Mike Verveer said. "From what it sounds like from the police department, this narrow-scoped ordinance is sufficed for Madison."

Chula Vista's drug use and prostitution problems are far more serious than that of Madison's, considering the CVPD received 2,091 calls for police service at motels in 2003. Madison, however, typically has only 13 calls for police service per month for motel-related crimes.

Despite a thorough discussion of the issue, the board did not reach a decision on the ordinance at Monday's meeting. A vote on the issue has been rescheduled for a later date pending new information.