Madhatters might reopen on State

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Madhatters_BC[/media-credit]UW students may soon have one more place to drink on State Street, if the once-popular Madhatters bar receives a license Wednesday to fill the space formerly occupied by Fuddruckers restaurant.

Madhatters was forced to relocate summer 2006 due to an area redevelopment. The bar was previously located on the southwest corner of University Avenue and Lake Street where the old University Square once stood.

After receiving Madhatters' application for a new alcohol license, the Alcohol License Review Committee will decide whether or not to grant its request at the meeting Wednesday evening.

"I can't yet say which way I will go, but if [the owner] has a good record, and it wasn't his choice to leave the old location, I tend to look upon those with some favorable leaning for him," said committee member Ald. Michael Schumacher, District 18.

According to Schumacher, the bar possessed an alcohol license for approximately 20 years.

However, City Council President Mike Verveer, who also sits on the Alcohol License Review Committee, says the decision will not be an easy one.

"It'll be a controversial question Wednesday night because, as most people know, any new bar license or even a transfer of a bar license is controversial these days," Verveer said. "The reason why Madhatters' application is controversial is because the neighborhood association doesn't support it, and there are a number of close neighbors that are opposed to it as well."

According to Verveer, there are no bars in the immediate area of State Street where Madhatters would be located, and many residents would like to keep it that way.

"I'm sure there will be a fair amount of testimony and then debate on the license," Verveer said.

"What [the owner] has in his favor is the fact that they were forced out of business by the University Square redevelopment."

Verveer said despite several run-ins with the police a few years ago, the bar did have a loyal following and is credited for the creation of the "Friday After Class" drinking tradition.

The proposed Alcohol Density Plan, which would limit the number of new liquor licenses available in downtown Madison, would not have an effect on the bar's chances for a license.

The plan, which is up for vote at Tuesday night’s City Council meeting, would not have an effect because the bar owner would have submitted his application before the plan became law.

In addition to voting on an alcohol license for Madhatters, Schumacher also said a new subcommittee of the Alcohol License Review Committee will hold its first meeting Wednesday to try to form a basic set of criteria for the committee in making decisions about distributing licenses.

"My goal is really to look at the past policies, and then let's see if we can define some policies and define some sort of broad guidelines," Schumacher said.

Schumacher added he hopes this will also help the public learn about the criteria involved in the committee's decisions.