Edwards’ Milwaukee payday

MILWAUKEE — Hundreds of Democratic supporters rallied around presidential hopeful Sen. John Edwards at the "Small Change for Big Change" grassroots fundraiser at Serb Hall in Milwaukee Monday night.

The energetic crowd hummed along to Sheryl Crow’s "A Change Would Do You Good" and erupted into applause as Edwards bounded up to the stage after an introduction by Democratic Party of Wisconsin Chair Joe Wineke.

Edwards jumped right into his speech, spending about half an hour discussing the need for a change in the White House, as well as his plans to end the Iraq war and reform both the education and health care systems.

Current attitudes toward America, Edwards said, are dismal throughout the world, and it is the president's job to talk to other countries and explain to them what Americans truly stand for.

"I don’t think George Bush has damaged our reputation in the world — I think he’s destroyed it," Edwards said. "The world needs to hear from the president because they have such a distorted perception of what America is because of George Bush. They need to hear that, as Americans, we believe in and embrace diversity."

Edwards also said the rest of the world needs to have the hope that America will act fairly, and the faith to believe the country can again become a dependable source of wealth and security.

"There is a generation of young people who are sitting on the fence all around the world, but particularly in the Muslim world, and on one side is bin Laden and al-Qaida and on the other side is America. Which way will we go?" Edwards asked. "If we are bullies, selfish [and] only interested in the expansion of American power, we will drive them in the other direction."

The war in Iraq has significantly contributed to negative views of America, Edwards said, as he vowed to end the war. He told the crowd he is deeply disappointed with legislators who continue to fund the debacle.

"I think it is time for the Congress to do what the American people put them in charge of doing, and that is bringing an end to this war," Edwards said. "They should not submit a single funding bill to this president that does not have a timetable for withdrawal."

Edwards also addressed the U.S. educational system, saying every child deserves a chance to go to college. The senator enacted a successful program in his home state of North Carolina, which pays freshman-year college tuition for working students. The U.S. system, Edwards said, is flawed because a poor financial aid system prevents many high school graduates from attending college.

"We have so many young people who are desperate to go to college … [and I] say to every young person in America, graduate from high school, commit to work while you’re in college at least ten hours a week, and we pay for your tuition and books," Edwards said.

The result, Edwards added, would be students graduating from college free from the burdens of large debts.

University of Wisconsin junior Anne Kaar, who attended the event, said she supports Edwards and believes his plan will ensure students receive the aid they need.

"[With Edwards' plan] the government is willing to pay for their tuition and their books, and that will ensure that when we’re done with college that we’re not swamped down with all these debts and loans like we are now," Kaar said. "He wants to make it easier for college students … and he wants an equal opportunity for everyone."

Many of those equal opportunities, Edwards said, come in the form of universal health care. Edwards said his plan is not free, but that he will use dollars from Bush’s tax cuts to pay for coverage.

"We have a dysfunctional health care system in America," Edwards said. "There is only one answer: true, mandated universal health care."

LeAnn Minor, legislative director for Local 998, a transit group, said Edwards supports working families through his universal coverage plan.

"He’ll work pretty good with the health care," Minor said. "I know that there are numerous unions that support him, and for unions to support him, he has to be doing something for the people."

But not everybody agrees with Edwards. The Republican Party of Wisconsin released a statement Monday saying Edwards favors tax hikes and high levels of government spending.

"While Edwards is here pandering liberals, his plans to raise taxes and cut support for our troops won’t play well in Wisconsin," said Mark Jefferson, executive director for the Republican Party of Wisconsin in a statement.

However, Edwards is supported by some members of the Wisconsin government, including state Treasurer Dawn Marie Sass.

"I believe he is the candidate that will win the White House back for us," Sass said.