Honors go to UW faculty

Two University of Wisconsin System faculty members and one UW System department received a prestigious honor from the Board of Regents Friday.

Professor Diane Reddy of UW-Milwaukee, professor Lois Smith of UW-Whitewater and UW-Platteville department of Civil and Environmental Engineering received the 15th annual Regents Teaching Excellence Awards.

Danae Davis, chair of the Board of Regents educational committee, said the UW System seems to "suffer an embarrassment of riches" in terms of employing qualified faculty.

The recipients of the award, Davis said, affect both their students' educational experience and ability to improve their community.

"They teach their students to stand up for someone and make the world a better place to live, labor and love," Davis said.

Davis said the winners viewed teaching as not a job, but a calling.

"I'm awestruck at the qualifications and achievements of all those nominated for the award this year," Davis said.

Reddy, chair of the UW-Milwaukee psychology department, joined the university's faculty in 1983.

In Reddy's classroom, she decided to enact mock trials and situations of various psychological studies rather than describing and analyzing research findings, which allowed students to "experience the findings for themselves."

"This simple shift in my thinking about my role as an educator, the role of my students and the educational process in general had immediate positive effects on student interest in the subject matter," Reddy said.

Reddy said time, energy and constructive feedback are key factors in academic success.

"To accomplish my learning investments, I invest substantial time and energy in providing students with constructive feedback designed to promote their success," Reddy said.

Smith, a marketing professor at UW-Whitewater, was described as having an "infectious passion for teaching."

Smith said in addition to sharing her marketing knowledge with her students, she learned significantly from them, too.

"Separating the concept of teaching and learning is difficult for me," she said. "Every location, every subject and every group of students has taught me something and made my life wider and richer."

One of these experiences, Smith said, was when she was given a first-floor office, allowing her to further bond with students with physical disabilities.

"I met more than the average students — whatever that is," Smith said.

Smith said she was grateful to receive the award for what it represented.

"The award gives faculty pride in teaching, and it shows you value and recognize teaching quality," Smith told the regents.

Department chair Max Anderson accepted the honor for the 11-person Civil and Environmental Engineering department at UW-Platteville.

Anderson attributed the department's success to three factors, including the recruitment of energetic staff, comradery within the department and an openness to new ideas and change.

"It is only through adaptation to change and looking for creative solutions to new problems that our students … will be successful in the future," Anderson said.

Recipients were chosen by a special committee consisting of Board of Regents members. Winners received a $5,000 prize.

The regents also heard a security update from UW System Executive Senior Vice President Don Mash on the president's 2007 Commission on University Security, according to a UW System release.

Mash said he is reviewing safety reports and recommendations on campus safety in the aftermath of the shooting at Virginia Tech last April.

The final report, Mash said, will be released after a similar report is released by Gov. Jim Doyle.