Dial 715? Maybe not…

Northern Wisconsin residents will soon be adding a new area code to their phone books. The 715 area code, which encompasses 39 counties, is expected to run out of telephone numbers by late 2009.

Gary Evenson, administrator of the telecommunications division of the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin, said the state has added a new area code two times in the past ten years.

The PSC, Evenson said, constantly monitors the potential for area code exhaust and was well-prepared for the previous splits. The PSC has long anticipated the 715 shortage.

"We're always looking at forecasted lives for the area codes," Evenson said. "We generally gear these efforts up when it looks to be about three years away from exhaust."

There are two plans for integrating yet another new area code — whose number has yet to be decided — into Wisconsin.

The overlay plan would not require anybody to change his or her phone numbers. When there are no more 715 numbers available, Evenson said the plan calls for all new lines to have a new area code. But Evenson said that residents oppose this plan because it would require dialing an area code for all telephone calls — including those between two telephone numbers in the same area code district.

The split plan also requires some residents to swap their current area code for the new one, depending on where they live. However, Evenson added both methods have successfully incorporated new area codes into states throughout the country.

"There have been more splits than overlays, but there have been several dozen overlays as well," Evenson said. "People don't like it when it's happening, but they get used to it."

Rep. Scott Suder, R-Abbotsford, said he prefers the overlay plan because it is fair to all his constituents.

"I think [the overlay plan] would inconvenience less people than simply splitting and forcing people to change their numbers," Suder said. "What I don't want to happen is for one section of the state to keep all of their area codes and another area bear the burden of change."

Suder said the PSC should listen to residents' concerns, and encourages the commission to pick a plan based on constituent feedback.

Like Suder, Jeff Buhrandt, communications director for Sen. Pat Krietlow, D-Chippewa Falls, said his stance is dependent on that of his constituents.

"We think people should voice their concerns and go from there," Buhrandt said. "[Krietlow] doesn't want to drive it either way."

But both Suder and Buhrandt said the need for a new area code is positive because it demonstrates development and expansion in Wisconsin.

"It's a sign of growth, and we should look at it that way," Buhrandt said.