City to try for 30 new police officers

In an effort to increase the presence of police officers in Madison and help keep residents safe, Mayor Dave Cieslewicz decided to back Police Chief Noble Wray's proposal to add 30 new officers to the city's streets by 2009.

"The mayor feels that, although this is an extraordinary investment, it's a necessary one," said George Twigg, communications director for Cieslewicz. "He's been hearing from the public about their concerns for public safety, and he shares those concerns."

Ald. Paul Skidmore, District 9, who has worked closely with Madison police officers for six years as member of the Public Safety Review Board, agreed pressure from Madison residents has been significant.

"I think the mayor had kind of an epiphany when he heard from the community on how desperate the situation was," Skidmore said. "The number of officers out on the street is very low."

Skidmore said he fully supports the mayor's decision to hire more officers.

"We need more officers on the street just for routine things, especially in the periphery for speeding and crimes of opportunity that they can't get to because there just aren't enough officers to go around," Skidmore said. "I've called many times for service and they'll say, 'We're dealing with this or that, and we'll get to you when we can.'"

However, even with the mayor's approval of this proposal, the city must still wait for a vote from the City Council.

City Council President Mike Verveer said he doesn't doubt his colleagues will support the proposal.

"I would be surprised if the City Council does not go along with the police chief's request," Verveer said. "Public safety has risen to the top of the city agenda in the last year, so I think most City Council members are making public safety a priority."

According to Twigg, however, it will be the state budget that dictates the city's ability to hire the new officers, and the current Republican budget will not leave room for it.

Skidmore agreed the final decision is virtually out of the city's hands.

"It's not really up to the city because we need help from the state to either help pay for the officers through revenue sharing or get some relief from our tax cap," Skidmore said.

If the city does not receive relief from the Legislature, Skidmore said cuts would have to be made elsewhere.

Even with 30 more officers, however, Skidmore said the city's problem with safety is far from solved.

"That's just the tip of the iceberg," Skidmore said. "There's no magic bullet that's going to make our community safe."

Skidmore suggested what the city needs is an attitude change.

"There seems to be a pervasive attitude that if there's not a cop around, I can get away with speeding," Skidmore said.

According to Verveer, the mayor will introduce the proposal for more police officers in his budget to the City Council Oct. 2.

The public information officer for the Madison Police Department did not return calls as of press time.