Nass alleges political ploy

With the Wisconsin state budget nearly two months behind schedule, a state representative is accusing the University of Wisconsin System of trying to influence budget decisions.

State Rep. Steve Nass, R-Whitewater, sent a letter to Wisconsin Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen accusing the UW System of releasing names of various students on the waiting list for Wisconsin Higher Education Grants, in hopes of influencing "their political agenda in terms of influencing the state budget office."

The students shared their stories with various Wisconsin newspapers, explaining the current budget system is making it financially impossible for them to continue school.

UW spokesperson David Giroux said his office had not been notified of Nass' concern before the letter was released.

"We weren't aware that Rep. Nass had any such concerns," Giroux said. "Nobody from his office called us to inquire about this matter — we could have answered the question easily."

Giroux said the UW System acts in the best interest of its students.

"The agenda that we're advancing is the higher education agenda," UW spokesperson David Giroux said. "I think that educational opportunities, personal growth and professional advancement are completely bipartisan issues, [and] I don't think there's a legislator in the Capitol who doesn't believe in value of high education."

In the letter, Nass also said releasing the names was a violation of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

"The issue appears to be whether the UW System appropriately followed both federal and state regulations limiting the release of names or information gathered by the institutions," Nass said in the letter.

Giroux said any contact between the reporters and affected students happened within legal and ethical standards.

"There were a number of exchanges between some news reporters and some of our campuses in which either the campus offered up some names or the reporter inquired about the name," Giroux said. "Our campuses followed their standard practice, which is to ask the students permission first. That's a simple matter of courtesy."

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act requires that students grant permission through writing, Nass spokesperson Mike Mikalsen said, something the UW schools allegedly did not do.

"Federal privacy law places clear restrictions on the type of information and financial aid information that is released," Mikalsen said. "We know several of the universities in question did not have any of this in writing."

Mikalsen added the UW System was trying to "embarrass" state legislators for not having the budget settled.

Giroux disagreed, and said the academic future of thousands of students was at risk.

"The personal accounts that have been reported by the news media have been very compelling," Giroux said. "This is not a political agenda; this is about the future of our UW students."

Nass said in the letter he contacted Executive Director of Wisconsin Higher Educational Aids Board Connie Hutchison to review the matter. Nass was told Hutchinson would need to contact the Governor's Office to determine any possible action.

Hutchison did not return calls as of press time.

Van Hollen spokesperson Kevin St. John had no comment on the issue, but said the attorney general received the letter, and it is currently under review.