County charges bus driver

A Madison resident took an unexpected bus ride dangling from the side of Metro No.18 bus going 27 miles per hour in late July, when the driver reportedly refused to let him board.

The bus driver, Kris Burke, allegedly refused the passenger because he urinated on the bus less than an hour before. Burke has since been charged with felony second degree reckless endangerment and appeared in court for the first time Thursday.

"He's been charged with a pretty serious felony crime, and the victim received a Madison municipal court violation for the incident inside the bus,"Assistant District Attorney Mike Verveer said.

According to the criminal complaint, the victim, Michael Cooper, initially boarded the bus at about 4:01 p.m. and walked to the back of the bus, where he urinated because he "couldn't hold it."

Cooper then left the bus at about 4:17, and when he tried to re-board only a half hour later, Burke shut the doors and yelled, "That's the f— that pissed on my bus."

In response, Cooper allegedly jumped on the right flank bumper and yelled to Burke, "Pull over the … bus. I want to talk to you."

But instead, Burke began driving away with Cooper hanging onto the front right corner, his foot resting on the bumper.

Cooper said he feared for his life while he clung to the side of the bus.

Just before entering the Beltline Highway, the bus came to a complete halt at a four-way stop and Cooper jumped off.

At that time, Burke loudly announced to the passengers, "Like he thought he was going to ride in my bus again after that bullshit."

According to Metro spokesperson Julie Maryott-Walsh, Burke has since been fired.

Verveer said his appearance in court today went smoothly.

"It was very routine," Verveer said. "Bail was set because he voluntarily appeared on the day we set."

Burke's next court date, which will be a status conference, is set for Monday, Oct. 1.

At that time he will choose whether or not to waive his right to a preliminary hearing. If so, an arraignment will most likely take place immediately. Burke will then have the opportunity to offer his plea.