Commission calls for Ziegler to be reprimanded

The Wisconsin Judicial Commission filed a complaint Thursday formally reprimanding state Supreme Court Justice Annette Ziegler for misconduct involving a conflict of interest when she presided over cases involving her husband's employer.

Ziegler jointly filed with the Wisconsin Judicial Commission to recommend she be reprimanded by the Supreme Court for her involvement in cases involving West Bend Savings Bank, where her husband works on the board of directors and is paid $20,000 annually.

Ziegler admitted wrongdoing by agreeing with the WJC's decision, and publicly addressed her actions Thursday.

"I apologize for the unintentional error I made hearing cases where West Bend Savings Bank was a party in the matter," Ziegler said in a statement released Thursday. "I have taken steps to make sure a similar mistake does not happen in the future, [and] I look forward to doing the work the people of Wisconsin elected me to do."

Ziegler was granted an "Order Amending Rotating Order" — which removes her from all present and future cases involving West Bend Savings Banks — soon after the complaint was filed, Ziegler said Thursday in her response to the WJC's complaint.

"Regrettably, Judge Ziegler rotely continued her past practice of hearing West Bend Savings cases and states that she inadvertently overlooked her responsibilities under the conflict rules," the statement said. "She acknowledges that she should have realized that disclosure, and recusal, absent a waiver by the parties, was necessary."

The court's recommendation to reprimand the new justice stemmed from a complaint issued by the Madison-based Wisconsin Democracy Campaign.

"We are very disappointed the judicial commission found that Justice Ziegler engaged in judicial misconduct," said Mike McCabe, executive director of the WDC. "Justice Ziegler has accepted the [WJC's] finding, so she's admitted to violating the rules."

But McCabe said the WJC's recommendation is not harsh enough, and therefore will not set a strong precedent for all other justices.

"I hope the Supreme Court will take a stronger stand and opt for a stronger form of discipline," McCabe said. "The commission's message is very weak and could undermine the public confidence in the court system."

Correction (Sept. 10, 2007): Mike McCabe should have been quoted as saying, “We are extremely pleased the judicial commission found that Justice Ziegler engaged in judicial misconduct.” We regret the error.