Regents to look at future today

The University of Wisconsin System Board of Regents will meet today and tomorrow for their first meeting of the 2007-08 academic school year.

Issues slated for discussion include the long-term goals and well-being of the UW System, updates on a new student identification card and the presentation of the 2007 Regents Teaching Excellence Awards.

Strategic framework meeting

Today the meeting will begin with a presentation led by UW System President Kevin Reilly and Regent President Mark Bradley, involving "The Strategic Framework of the UW System to Advantage and Advance Wisconsin's Future."

The presentation will continue with a discussion among the regents, according to Regent Vice President Chuck Pruitt, and this will serve as "the beginning of a conversation of the regents to try to work through a strategic plan."

Regent David Walsh said that they would also be discussing access and quality for the entire system.

"Access is bound up in having sufficient funds and financial aid to improve the access," Walsh said. "Quality is the issue of making sure that we’re competitive so we can maintain our faculty."

Walsh added there are many smaller issues that will also be discussed.
"There are many sub-issues: How do we improve the situations for non-traditional students [and] veterans, and are we doing a good job with diversity?"

UW System spokesperson David Giroux said the discussion will involve issues UW faces in the future, challenges to financial resources, upward pressure on tuition and emerging educational needs in the workplace.

Pruitt said the discussions will involve "what we see our role and the role of the university system going forward is, what the priorities are, what we can do better and what we can improve."

Campus ID program

Numerous UW System schools — UW-Madison not included — have started an all-in-one campus identification card that can be used to access campus buildings, housing food accounts and checking accounts, Regent Brent Smith said.

A report was conducted, Smith said, comparing the identification card programs of many UW System and Big Ten schools.

"Once the committee and the board have a chance to look at those findings, then we'll discuss whether we want to go further or make any changes," Smith said.

Smith anticipated changes will be made regarding disclosure to students and parents as to how these programs work, as well as how to make it clear the identification cards are not required.

Smith added the possibility of UW-Madison starting a similar program is slim.

"Madison is not involved in the program, and I didn't get any impression that they were going to get in it," Smith said.

2007 Regents Teaching Excellence Award

Three recipients of the 2007 Regents Teaching Excellence Award will be honored at a ceremony tomorrow morning, Pruitt said.

Two $5,000 gifts will be awarded to UW System and academic staff members, recognizing achievements throughout their careers. An additional $5,000 gift will be given to a UW
System academic program or department.

Winners were nominated by their peers and selected through a special regent committee, according to the nomination form, and they will be present at the ceremony to accept their awards.