State may foot bill for abortions

Anti-abortion rights groups throughout Wisconsin continue to fight against the Healthy Wisconsin Plan proposed by the Democrat-controlled Senate, claiming it would use taxpayer dollars to pay for abortions. The current state employee health care plan — which covers employees and their dependents — has been adopted by the Healthy Wisconsin Plan, which aims to insure all Wisconsin citizens. State employees can choose from a variety of HMO plans, all of which cover themselves as well as their dependents, and all of the available HMO plans pay for "therapeutic abortions." Sen. Mary Lazich, R-New Berlin, said the Healthy Wisconsin Plan will use taxpayer dollars to pay for abortions. "[A] lot of taxpayer dollars going for abortions … is not the norm," Lazich said. People are disgruntled with soaring health care costs, Lazich added, and by paying for abortions, the state is adding to the high cost of such coverage. A large problem with the plan, according to the anti-abortion rights group Wisconsin Right to Life, is its failure to define the term "therapeutic abortion." "Therapeutic abortions include what [are] known as health issues," Susan Armacost, legislative director for Wisconsin Right to Life, said. "Health, according to the U.S. Supreme Court, means your psychological state, emotional state [and] age." Armacost added the vague definition of a health issue makes it easy for virtually all women to qualify for the procedure. State employees’ health care plans, Armacost said, have included therapeutic abortions since 1995 when Gov. Jim Doyle, then attorney general, decided the funds used for the procedures were not taxpayer dollars. "We have a law that is supposed to prohibit funding for most abortions, but Doyle is saying that law didn’t apply when it came to state employees’ health insurance plans," Armacost said. Like Wisconsin Right to Life, Planned Parenthood Advocates of Wisconsin recognizes the term "therapeutic abortion" does not have a single definition, but defines the term as "a medically necessary abortion." Planned Parenthood Advocates of Wisconsin also said the state employee health care plan adopted by the Healthy Wisconsin Plan follows all state and federal laws. "Healthy Wisconsin Plan’s limited coverage of medically necessary abortions is consistent with both state and federal law," Chris Taylor and Nicole Safar, representatives for Planned Parenthood Advocates of Wisconsin, said in a release earlier this month. According to Taylor and Safar, anti-abortion groups continue to circulate false information about the Healthy Wisconsin Plan using taxpayer dollars for abortions throughout the state. "The Healthy Wisconsin Plan only covers medically necessary abortions — those that are necessary to safeguard a women’s life, health or her future fertility," Taylor and Safar said in the statement. "[I]f a physician finds that a woman needs an abortion … only in those very limited circumstances would the services be covered." A final decision has yet to be made on the Healthy Wisconsin Plan, as a state budget has yet to be passed.