SJ sides with Greek group

With new students coming to campus this week, one student organization had plans to host a speaker on safe socializing — but its funding request was denied by the Associated Students of Madison's Finance Committee.

The issue began July 17, when the Student Services Finance Committee denied the Panhellenic Association, a group associated with the Greek community, funding to host alcohol awareness speaker Harlin Cohen.

The ASM Finance Committee ultimately decided not to grant the Panhellenic Association the funds they requested, leading the Panhellenic Association to appeal the ruling, citing a violation of viewpoint neutrality.

The Panhellenic Association’s case was heard before ASM's Student Judiciary Aug. 20.

During the initial hearing, according to Panhellenic Association President Sarah Anderson, two members of the ASM Finance Committee made insensitive comments involving stereotypes and biases about the Greek community.

According to the meeting transcript, SSFC member Jon Menn asked whether fraternities and sororities were sending an "opposite message," given their reputation for hosting alcohol-heavy events.

But according to Anderson, Menn's comment violated viewpoint neutrality and ultimately affected the Finance Committee’s decision. She also stressed the event will be open to all UW students and not just those involved in the Greek community.

"We wanted to show that we are a very legitimate organization on campus, that we are a very large organization on campus, and we should be taken as serious as any other organization," Anderson said.

During the hearing, the ASM Finance Committee was defended by Brittany Weigand.

"Both cases were presented in a professional manner," Shaun Hernandez, SJ vice-chief justice, said before the ruling. "I think they did a good job presenting themselves and telling us what they thought was of the most concern from their case."

After the hearing, ASM Student Judiciary deliberated behind closed doors and decided that, according to the judgment, viewpoint neutrality was violated.

SJ also ordered the funding request from the Panhellenic Association to be reheard by ASM Student Council.

"In the end, we found that certain representatives on the Finance Committee decisions were tainted by viewpoint neutrality violations, making their decisions invalid," SJ Chief Justice Sol Grosskopf said.

Anderson seemed hopeful for the next hearing and expressed her appreciation of the entire Finance Committee, as her organization frequently requests funding from the committee.

"The process was a good experience for all of us," Anderson said, adding she appreciated the opportunity to present her organization's case.

Regardless of the retrial ruling, Anderson said, Harlin Cohen will speak Sept. 10 in the Memorial Union Theater, because he is under contract.

If the retrial does not go in favor of the Panhellenic Association, Anderson said, the organization will use its savings to pay for the event.

Anderson said the speaker had always been intended as an all-campus event, and will in no way be associated solely with the Greek community.

"We're excited to have a really fun, positive speaker to educate the student body — particularly leaders and incoming freshmen — on certain healthy ways to socialize on our campus," Anderson said.