City to settle with utility chief

As a first step in solving Madison's slew of issues with its water utility, Mayor Dave Cieslewicz has come to an agreement with the utility's general manager David Denig-Chakroff to end his employment with the city.

However, as Denig-Chakroff has a contract with the city until 2011, the Madison City Council must vote to approve their settlement agreement, which would essentially buy out his contract until then.

The resolution was introduced at the City Council Meeting last night, but the issue will not be voted on until the Sept. 18 meeting.

"The mayor felt that this was the best course to take for both the city, and the water utility and residents," said George Twigg, the mayor's communications director. "It helped to resolve some of these lingering issues about the operation, and it will allow for us to move forward with restoring confidence in the water utility."

Twigg cited recent problems regarding chlorine levels, communication with the public and the issue of manganese in the water.

However, according to Ald. Robbie Webber, District 5, there were also problems relating directly with Denig-Chakroff's management of the utility.

"Besides the actual physical issues, there was a concern about management style and communication," Webber said. "I think that's why the mayor decided that this wasn't working."

Ald. Lauren Cnare, District 3, who serves on the Madison Board of Water Commissioners, also said that the utility had communication issues.

"The utility doesn't fully understand the importance of public relations," Cnare said. "They need to understand that the public wants to know and has a right to know everything that's going on."

Cnare said part of the new budget for the utility includes hiring a public information officer.

"I think there's a huge lesson to learn here that transparency is critical," Cnare said. "I think this will help, in that now there won't be someone to necessarily blame or point their finger at."

Unlike Cnare, Ald. Mark Clear, District 19, said the decision to remove Denig-Chakroff from his management position will not help solve the water utility's problems.

"I think there's still a lot to be done," Clear said. "This is a much deeper problem."

Under the settlement agreement — still pending until a vote from the City Council — Denig-Chakroff will leave his position as the general manager Sept. 21, according to a press release from the mayor's office.

The settlement also provides Denig-Chakroff with all the benefits he would receive for the five months following his termination, including a payment of about $55,000 for salary and health insurance premiums during that time period.

The release stated that the payments would not come from tax dollars, but rather from utility funds.

The mayor said he plans to temporarily replace Denig-Chakroff with City Engineer Larry Nelson.

"His background is as an engineer, so he is familiar with what is necessary to run an operation like this," Twigg said. "He'll do a good job while we search for a permanent replacement."

The search for a new general manager will commence upon the council's approval of the settlement.