Residents await installation of new surveillance cameras downtown

With some community members still reeling over recent high-profile crime in the Madison area, the city is scheduled to install new surveillance cameras intended to improve downtown safety.

Although the plan for the cameras was originally formulated last spring as part of a new Downtown Safety Initiative, the issue was revisited in a press conference held by the Madison Police Department July 18 in response to the murder of University of Wisconsin-Whitewater student Kelly Nolan.

"It goes without saying that having additional cameras would have been a tremendous assistance in the investigation [of Nolan's murder]," City Council President Mike Verveer said.

According to Verveer, whose district includes many UW students, the exact number and location of the cameras are yet to be decided. It is estimated, however, that fewer than ten surveillance cameras will monitor the area of State Street near Library Mall and a nearby area on University Avenue.

Instead of constant surveillance, officers will only monitor the cameras periodically while in their squad cars through the use of laptop computers with Wi-Fi technology.

"I think they will have both a preventative effect, in that people might think twice before committing a crime, but moreover, it will be an investigative tool for the cops," Verveer said.

However, some remain skeptical about the benefits new surveillance cameras could bring.

"I think way too much is made out of cameras like that," said Joel DeSpain, public information officer for the MPD. "There's just too much weight that's put on those cameras, and I would hate to put too much weight and too much value on that as a preventive measure."

Meanwhile, without the help of the surveillance cameras, the MPD continues its investigation into the Nolan case, after the 22-year-old's disappearance from downtown Madison the night of June 23 ended in her death.

Although the police have since found her body in the Town of Dunn, they have yet to track down any suspects, Verveer said.

"They're still waiting for DNA from the State Crime Lab," Verveer said. "We're really hoping that some of the forensic evidence will lead to the arrest of a suspect."

According to an MPD release, anyone who can offer information on who is responsible for Nolan's death will receive a $10,000 reward. The Carole Sund/Carrington Foundation donated half of the money, while an anonymous donor contributed the rest.

In addition to Nolan's death, a 23-year old Minnesota man was murdered in downtown Madison May 22 after a street fight broke out.

Austin Bodahl, of Waconia, Minn., was shot dead during the incident, which occurred in the 600 block of State Street.

Ald. Eli Judge, District 8, who represents the area in which the incident took place and where many of the cameras will be installed, said he thinks such cameras could have been helpful in the investigation of both the Bodahl and Nolan cases.

However, Judge has recently become concerned with the fact that the plan has changed to installing fixed cameras instead of mobile ones.

"Before, officers could shift the cameras to different places," Judge said.

Fixed cameras, he said, could quickly become inefficient, as crime may simply shift to new areas.

Judge plans to meet with MPD officials, a representative for Mayor Dave Cieslewicz and Verveer in the coming weeks to further discuss these options.

According to Verveer, the issue of civil liberties will also need to be addressed, and policies will need to be set in place to ensure that the video images are not used in a way that would infringe on anyone's rights.