Badger could miss season

University of Wisconsin football fans may notice the absence of a valued running back at the kickoff of this season after sophomore Lance Smith received an indefinite suspension from Athletic Director Barry Alvarez.

Smith was arrested following an argument with his girlfriend that allegedly turned violent. The incident took place outside the Open Pantry on Regent Street on the weekend of July 14 and led to Smith's arrest.

"It was a dispute over cab fare that got out of hand and became violent," said Assistant District Attorney Mike Verveer, who represented the state of Wisconsin at Smith's initial court appearance July 26.

Although he was arrested on serious felony charges of robbery, false imprisonment and battery, Smith has since been charged with only two misdemeanor accounts — battery and disorderly conduct.

"A misdemeanor for misconduct is almost like a traffic ticket," said Joel DeSpain, public information officer for the Madison Police Department.

Smith was released from jail the Tuesday following his arrest on a signature bond, on the condition he does not attempt to visit his girlfriend at her home. However, Smith can have contact with her in other locations.

"The judge ordered that he can have contact with the girlfriend, but couldn't threaten her or act violently toward her," Verveer said, adding the case is far from over and could drag on for several months.

According to Justin Doherty, UW athletic communications director, Smith has been suspended from the football team indefinitely for violating the Student-Athlete Discipline Policy.

However, more consequences could await Smith as a UW student, said Elton Crim, interim associate dean of students.

"No decisions have been made," Crim said. "We're still waiting to gather more information on the case."

Crim made it clear Smith would be treated as any other student would be in this situation.

Smith's next court date may not take place for at least two more months, Verveer said, at which time the district attorney's office and Smith's attorney will discuss how to settle the case.