City holds 2nd safety meeting

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]MPDMeeting_BC[/media-credit]March 2007 has seen an increase in aggravated battery, sexual assault and retail theft when compared to March 2006, according to new crime statistics released Monday night at a Madison Police Department community briefing.

The event was part of the $100,000 Downtown Safety Initiative, which requires the Central Patrol District of the MPD to review crime statistics with the community every other month.

Despite the increase in some types of crime, Monday night's statistics also showed a decrease in battery, robbery, burglary and theft.

Monday was the second meeting to take place under the initiative, and unlike the first it also focused on alcohol-related crimes and arrests. The number of alcohol-related citations issued by the MPD has risen in recent years, from about 1,700 in 2002 to 3,300 in 2006. Most of these citations occur in clusters on State Street and University Avenue, often outside bars.

"My biggest issue is this sidewalk-crowding thing," Capt. Mary Schauf said. "That's usually when we see fights erupt between people that are waiting to get in and people passing by."

Although the overall trend shows an increase in alcohol-related arrests, there was a decline between 2005 and 2006, which Schauf credited in part to the decrease in Halloween arrests.

Lt. Joe Balles said situations outside of bars when people have been drinking could quickly escalate out of control, creating a problem for police and leading to many arrests. The police presentation included a video from a recent weekend, where a fight between about 50 people broke out in front of Madison Avenue and Johnny O's on University Avenue.

"I can't tell you how dangerous this is," Balles said. "This is literally, like, exploding in front of your eyes — what the big thing our presence did that night is that there [were] no aggravated assaults here where anybody was seriously injured, and that is really what we're stopping."

The community briefing also discussed the upcoming Mifflin Street Block Party, scheduled for this Saturday. Police officials said they expect arrest numbers to increase from those of previous years, as the weather is expected to be warm and sunny. With the higher temperatures, police also said they expect to see more problems with alcohol-related dehydration.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, whose district includes the block party, will host a meeting Wednesday night where members of the community can further pose questions to police regarding how security issues will be handled during the event.