More Angels to grace city streets

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]GuardianAngels_JS[/media-credit]In hopes of making State Street and downtown Madison safer, a volunteer organization installed seven more patrolmen Sunday to walk in groups and look out for late-night violence.

The Guardian Angels and their famous red berets first came to Madison last August. Their night patrol walkers watch for crime, and the group will use the new recruits to bulk up watch hours.

"With any organization, the more members you have, the more effective it is," Madison chapter leader Jeff Callen said. "The newer guys show that people are concerned about issues that are arising in Madison, and people are willing to come down and take a proactive stance."

Armed with only a pen-light, handcuffs and a cell phone, the patrolmen make citizens' arrests for violent crime and work with police to catch criminals and break up fights.

Callen, who first volunteered with the Guardian Angels in 1982 in Pittsburg, said many offenses tie up 911 systems and police, adding he can more effectively break up a fight or tell a meddlesome, intoxicated Madisonian to "move along" or "sit down a minute."

Callen's son was one of the graduates from the training program, and he will be roaming the streets after learning defensive tactics and legal procedure when making an arrest.

"We take an unbiased approach with fights. If I see the whole thing unfold, it doesn't matter who threw the first punch," Callen said. "I'll get in the middle and bust them up. I've been hit, punched, kicked, pounded, beat — that's fine, it don't bother me."

Callen added that Guardian Angels are instructed to take a non-aggressive approach to situations and keep witnesses and victims in the area until police arrive.

Sunday's graduation drew support from other Guardian Angels around the Midwest, including Mike Welty, who is the chapter leader in Davenport, Iowa.

Welty, who formerly worked in a New Mexico penitentiary and is a crisis prevention instructor, said he wants to make sure his kids grow up in nicer communities than those developing around the nation.

"It only takes one person, but it starts a real chain reaction," Welty said. "We make sure people stay out of trouble. We're not going to do a citizen's arrest unless they are in a bad altercation or doing something to a woman."

Welty said they help out in any way they can, from assisting in car accidents to watching out for pickpockets or finding lost items.

Callen pointed out that although crime rates may not fall with the introduction of more Angels, the arrest and conviction rates increase by having another eye on the streets.

"I'm not trying to be a policeman," Callen said. "I'm trying to keep an eye out for things that might concern them, or break up a fight, and if no one's hurt, they can go their separate ways and that's the end of it."

Callen added that people from all walks of life join their groups, from as young as age 16 with parental permission to some cities with 80-year-old Angels.