Fire demolishes 2-flat apartment

Four people were left without a home Saturday afternoon after their two-flat apartment at 1110 E. Gorham St. burned in a midday fire that caused $150,000 in damage.

Although the fire caused extensive damage, none of the residents were injured because the home was vacant at the time of the fire. However, two cats that were believed to be in the home at the time of the fire remain missing.

According to a Madison Fire Department release, 10 fire trucks arrived at the scene just minutes past noon to find flames "burning out windows" of both the first and second floors on two sides of the building.

As the firefighters did not know if there were residents in the home at the time, they began a "fire attack" immediately to tame the fire, thus enabling them to complete two searches to ensure nobody remained trapped.

The firefighters were able to get the fire under control in about 20 minutes, according to the department, although the firefighters remained at the scene for nearly two hours to ensure all pockets of the fire were extinguished.

Before it was put out, however, the fire caused approximately $150,000 in damage. The home's electrical wires also fell down and into the street. However, Madison Gas & Electric soon disconnected the power to the downed wires.

At this time, the cause of the fire remains unknown, although fire investigators are working with the owner and residents of the home to find its source.

When contacted by The Badger Herald, the Madison Police Department said it will not be playing a part in the investigation. Scott Pratt, the owner of the building, did not respond to repeated interview requests as of press time.

As the building was severely damaged by the fire, the American Red Cross assisted the residents who were left without a home.