Crazylegs draws record crowd

[media-credit name=’Courtesy of Azin Moghadam’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]CrazyLegs_USEME[/media-credit]A record number of people participated in Saturday's Crazylegs Run, which will benefit the University of Wisconsin's Badger Athletics Fund.

According to Doreen Dower, the National W Club's director of marketing and promotions, more than 15,000 runners and walkers participated in the 8-kilometer race. Participants were also given the option of an 8-kilometer wheelchair race or a 2-mile walk.

"It was the most participants registered in a Crazylegs race so far," Dower said, adding that the event also set a record for most money raised. "It was great, the weather was beautiful, and we had a huge crowd stay for the post-race party."

UW head football coach Bret Bielema was the grand marshal of the event, as well as a participant. He finished 7,425th and came in at a time of 53:34.

Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz also participated in this year's race, finishing in 59:29 and coming in 8,473rd out of the more than 15,000 participants.

"He's run it for the past few years," said George Twigg, spokesperson for Cieslewicz. "It's a chance for people all around the state and the area to enjoy downtown Madison, and it's for a good cause."

The race began at the Capitol Square and finished on the 50-yard line at Camp Randall Stadium. The post-race party offered free fruit, bottled water and beer, as well as a performance by the UW Marching Band.

Event organizers also used the post-race party to honor the UW women's hockey team, who recently won the national championship.

UW senior Jon Eiden, who took 149th with a time of 32:12, said he was impressed with how smoothly the event went.

"It was completely credited to just good structure in the way it started," Eiden said. "I was very happy with it. It was my first Crazylegs, and it was a very pleasant experience."

The first Crazylegs race took place in 1982. The event is named for former UW Athletic Director Elroy Hirsch, who was nicknamed "Crazylegs." According to the event's website, the event has attracted more than 140,000 participants since it began.