Concern arises over flag display

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Tibetans_JS[/media-credit]A Madison organization is asking for the Tibetan flag not to be displayed at the City County Building during the Dalai Lama's visit this May, even though the display has already been unanimously approved by the City Council.

The Freedom from Religion Foundation said the flag's display is inappropriate because the Dalai Lama is a religious leader.

According to FFRF co-President Annie Laurie Gaylor, this act would set a dangerous precedent.

"What happens if the Pope visits?" Gaylor asked. "The City Council and the people of Madison have other means to show support for the people of Tibet without giving this special attention to the Dalai Lama."

Gaylor also said this commemoration makes it seem as though the Dalai Lama rules Tibet, even though Tibet is no longer a theocracy and the Dalai Lama is not a political head of state.

But members of Madison's Tibetan community have shown support for the display, saying it demonstrates respect for a prominent figure in their lives.

Tom Boman, spokesperson for the University of Wisconsin's Students for a Free Tibet organization, said the Dalai Lama does not just serve as a religious figure for the Tibetan community and criticized Gaylor for that implication.

"That in itself shows that she is not very aware of the situation, in my opinion," Boman said.

Boman, who attended the April 17 City Council meeting where the resolution was approved, said he believes City Council members were viewing the flag's display as an act of honoring a highly respected political figure.

"I feel that Madison supporting this decision shows a level of maturity and a level of understanding," Boman said.

Ald. Eli Judge, District 8, said religion did not factor into his decision to vote for the resolution.

"I strongly believe that we all had absolutely no intention of declaring one religion greater than another or endorsing religion," Judge said. "I think the city of Madison is simply honored that the Dalai Lama was coming to speak to our city, not as a representative of religion, but as a leader."

However, Gaylor said the Dalai Lama is not just a political figure — he is also a symbol of spirituality and religion. And, even if the Dalai Lama is only being viewed as a political figure, Gaylor said there is still no precedent to display the Tibetan flag.

"There's all kinds of downtrodden people around the world that we could be putting flags up for," Gaylor said. "Some of them are in need of liberation from the United States, but we don't have an Iraqi flag up at the City Council."

George Twigg, communications director for Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, said the mayor still supports the City Council's decision to display the flag.

"The mayor felt it was appropriate," Twigg said.

The Dalai Lama, who won the 1989 Nobel Peace Prize for his work to find a peaceful means to liberate Tibet, will be in Madison from May 2-4. During his visit, he will speak to UW students and community members at the Kohl Center.