City debates potential 1st phase of trolley plan

Despite notable opposition and reservation from committee members and attendees, Madison's Streetcar Study Committee discussed plans Tuesday for the potential first phase of the streetcar project, which would begin with a route looping around the Madison's central isthmus.

The meeting, led by Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, focused on the initial course for the streetcars, which was chosen for its many advantages — mostly its cost and central location.

"This is the most affordable piece, and therefore an attractive way to start," project manager Charlie Hales said. "It connects almost all of the key destinations that we've focused on, whether it's the Kohl Center or the Overture Center, and it goes to one of the two major hospitals."

According to Hales, the initial construction of the route will cost an estimated $32 million. However, once upstart costs are accounted for — including the cost of the three vehicles — the total package will approach a $58 million price tag.

Hales said this starting point could help boost support for the rest of the project.

"Once people see how good it is, it will get easier to build a second and a third," Hales said.

Upon completion of the entire project, public participation coordinator Mark Roffers said he foresees major improvements for the city of Madison by the year 2030.

According to his estimates, the project will have increased investment value for the city to nearly $2 billion, among other positive effects.

Hales said the $15 million per track-mile investment could yield $25-50 million per track mile in increasing property value.

"We're using pretty conservative values," Hales said. "We're trying to be real, not just speculative."

Several concerned residents, however, shared their disapproval of the addition of streetcars to the city of Madison.

Stuart Seffern, state representative of the Libertarian Party of Wisconsin, said studies for the streetcar project have already cost more than $2 million. He added there are alternative transportation improvements that would, at least initially, cost 1/50 of the price of streetcars.

"This is the single most irresponsible expense ever proposed in the city of Madison," Seffern said. "This should be obvious; I don't even know why we're here."

Despite such opposition, Hales said the addition of streetcars in Madison will help address many issues, including economic development, parking constraints, attracting and retaining creative people, and preserving and enhancing Madison's quality of life.

"It's providing circulation, and it's a different transit need, but nonetheless an important one," Hales said. "It's also about business, because circulation of people promotes business."

Hales said he wanted to focus on the economic and developmental impacts of the streetcars, because that is the reason so many cities across the country have added them to their transportation systems.

The Streetcar Study Committee plans to meet again during the first week of June, allowing planners time to find additional information regarding ridership and assessment of potential funding. A follow-up meeting will then be scheduled for mid-July.