Pizza runs end in late-night attack

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]Gilman_BC[/media-credit]An innocent act of making a late-night pizza run turned violent early Saturday morning when a 22-year-old man was assaulted on his way home from a restaurant.

According to the Madison Police Department, the suspects approached the victim and his friend while they were walking on the 200 block of West Gilman Street at approximately 3 a.m. and demanded they hand over their pizza. When the victim refused, he was punched in the head.

A fight then developed and, after receiving several punches in the head and a strong bite on his chin, the victim later received stitches on his face.

Mike Hanson, public information officer for the MPD, said no arrests have been made in relation to the incident. Police are still searching for a black male, approximately 5-foot-6 and 240 pounds, who was wearing a blue T-shirt and blue jeans at the time of the alleged assault.

Meanwhile, the victim continues to recuperate.

"He's recovering still with his stitches, and he got his face battered as well," Hanson said.

According to Ald. Eli Judge, District 8, who represents the area in which the assault took place, the city needs to work on putting the emphasis back into not only campus safety, but downtown safety as well. Judge also said local neighborhood watch programs could help prevent these types of attacks.

"Assaults like this are something we should not tolerate," Judge said. "I've been working with some of the leadership of the Langdon Watch Program, and I hope to continue working with them in the future."

FBI launches fraud investigation at Madison bank

In addition to searching for the suspect in the Gilman Street assault, the Madison Police Department is also working with the Federal Bureau of Investigation to solve a possible case of fraud at local branches of Associated Bank.

According to a release issued Tuesday, automated phone calls were made to citizens notifying them that there was a problem with their bank accounts, and directing the customers of Associated Bank to call a phone number. That number then directed them to a recording asking for their account and pin numbers.

The number of customers who gave their private information away remains unknown, although officials fear it may be high.

Hanson declined to comment on the case and directed questions to the local branch of the FBI, which did not return calls as of press time.