Police calm disorderly brawl at Cue-Nique Lounge

More than 80 people were involved in a brawl on the 300 block of West Gorham Street early Saturday morning, causing Madison Police Department officers to use crowd control techniques to disperse the group.

According to the MPD, the incident — which occurred around 1:20 a.m. — consisted of three separate fights involving six to 10 men, each with up to 120 people "engaged in a hostile environment." People did not stop fighting even after officers arrived on the scene, according to the report.

"The crowd continued to fight, and as fights were broken up, more would start up," said Mike Hanson, public information officer for the MPD.

Hanson said officers noticed the fight, which occurred in front of the Cue-Nique Billiards Lounge, while on routine patrol. The fight was reportedly spilling out onto the street from the sidewalk, and officers were forced to use pepper spray to subdue the crowd.

One person was arrested as a result of the fight — Madison resident Maurice Grant, 22, who was arrested for disorderly conduct while armed. Another unnamed person was cited at the scene of the fight for disorderly conduct but was not taken to the Dane County Jail.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said it is his understanding that those involved in the fight were either patrons at Cue-Nique or people loitering outside.

"I'm very concerned about this incident — it's the makings of a King Street-type of situation all over again," Verveer said. "I will be taking steps with the cops to try to ensure that this doesn't happen again."

King Street was the target of negative publicity last year, following several violent crimes that occurred outside the now-defunct Club Majestic. The area was problematic for the MPD, who eventually used surveillance cameras to monitor the area.

According to police reports, people were using belts as weapons in the fight.