Council targets city economy

Two new proposals to improve Madison's business climate are up for consideration in the City Council.

The initiatives, which were proposed by Mayor Dave Cieslewicz as part of his economic development agenda, include a Buy Local program and a Small Employer Bus Program.

"We do know that when money is spent locally in the community, it circulates in the community much more than if you buy something from Wal-Mart or out-of-state entities," said George Twigg, communications director for Cieslewicz.

The Buy Local Program, which is co-sponsored by City Council President Austin King and Ald. Larry Palm, District 15, would set up a city purchasing program where the government would have a preference for local goods and services. The proposal is intended to stimulate small business growth in Madison.

Cieslewicz is seeking re-election this April and is running against challenger Ray Allen.

But Allen, who owns The Madison Times and several businesses in the Dane County Regional Airport, said the plan is coming too late.

"City Hall and local government need to be aware of small businesses, and for the last administration, they haven't," Allen spokesperson Semmi Pasha said. "Of course, now that it's election year, he's trying to pay attention to everybody."

Pasha also criticized the Small Employer Bus Program, which would extend Madison Metro's unlimited ride program from large businesses to small ones. There is currently a minimum number of employees an organization must have in order to qualify for the plan, so only larger organizations like the University of Wisconsin and Dean St. Mary's can take advantage of the program.

Pasha said in order for this new plan to be effective, the city first needs to restructure its bus routes to make them more efficient.

"You can extend that bus pass to whoever you want, but if it still takes too long for folks to get to work, then they aren't going to utilize the program," Pasha said, adding Madison could also benefit from additional park-and-ride programs.

These two proposals will go to a city committee before being heard by the City Council.