Mayor picks design team

A new proposal to create a signature park in Madison is one step closer to becoming a reality after Mayor Dave Cieslewicz appointed 11 people to the new Central Park Design and Implementation Task Force.

The committee will focus on issues such as design, fundraising and governance for the park, according to George Twigg, spokesperson for Cieslewicz.

"It has a potential to be what's called a signature park, similar to the Millennium Park in Chicago," Twigg said. "It's also a more community-wide attraction."

The mayor first publicly discussed the park's proposal at a forum last week held by the Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts and Letters. While last week's meeting discussed the downtown James Madison Park as a possible site, the committee will be also studying the possibility of the park being built on the east side's Central Park.

"It could really be a centerpiece for the revitalization of the East Corridor," Twigg said. "Right now, there's a lot of vacant and industrial property there — it has a lot of potential, and the park could be a big part in that."

Twigg also said the decision to pass over James Madison as a possible site was made because although the park has a beautiful lakefront view, parking is limited and the size of the space is small.

Mayor Cieslewicz, who is seeking re-election this April, is running against Madison Times owner Ray Allen. Semmi Pasha, spokesperson for Allen, said he would support this proposal.

"We think green space is important," Pasha said. "We support any proposal as long as it's done with private dollars."

Pasha said this park could help keep the area near East Towne Mall and the current Central Park a destination point.

The 11 people appointed to the new committee were chosen because they were either impacted or interested in developing this proposal, Twigg said. Included on the committee are Ald. Judy Olson, District 6, former Madison Mayor Joe Sensenbrenner and Downtown Madison Inc. Executive Director Susan Schmitz.

Twigg said the committee will present a report to the mayor and the City Council some time in late 2007 or early 2008.

"The idea has been discussed for several years now," Twigg said. "And it's the mayor's hope that the committee can jump-start this process."