Campus greets student contenders

[media-credit name=’JEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photo)’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]ASM_JS[/media-credit]Prospective Associated Students of Madison student leaders introduced themselves to curious student voters Tuesday night at a Student Elections Committee "meet and greet."

SEC candidate coordinator Mimi Li, who organized the event, said it was created to allow students to speak to candidates one-on-one for the March 20-22 election.

"It was to [a candidate's] advantage to show up," Li said. "Not all the candidates are here, but it will be helpful to [candidates] who show up and talk to students."

As last year’s election turnout fell short of expectations, SEC Chair Leah Moe said she expects voter turnout to be higher this time around with an electronic system set up for the current election.

"With it being online, we are hoping that it will increase," Moe said. "It will be a lot more convenient for any student because they can vote from home or any computer at any time."

According to Li, there are 31 candidates for this election, as opposed to last fall, which had only one-third as many candidates. Li said additional candidates should also increase voter turnout along with the help of the new electronic voting system.

"You should vote for yourself," said Stella Luong, a Letters & Science chair candidate. "ASM is the channel to make tangible changes on this campus, so it is important to vote for the person who can speak for you."

Students came to meet candidates and determine who would represent the issues they are most concerned with, as well as learn about how candidates will deal with issues.

"I came down to find (out) a little bit more about what people are representing," UW freshman Chris Arena said. "I need to know who will make what choice on contentious issues and that they deal with money in a way that is best for the students of Madison."

UW sophomore Bryon Shannon said he was most concerned with segregated fees and diversity.

"I'm more content with student safety and SAFEwalk, so I think [ASM] can focus more on other issues," Shannon said.

Candidates also raised awareness on certain issues, suggesting that some issues need more focus then others.

"I'm concerned that segregated fee money will be wasted," L&S chair candidate Andrew Carpenter said. "My high school wasted a lot of its money, and I turned that around — I see the same problem here. I can get students more for their money or the same for less."

Current ASM Diversity Chair Hannah Buck, who is up for re-election, said accessibility for minority students is a major issue facing the UW System.

L&S chair candidate Amandeep Kaur said financing is also a large problem, as students are starting to see prices increase in various areas.

"Financially, there is a problem," Kaur said. "How do students pay for textbooks and account for inflating costs at [University] Health Services, as well as rising tuition?"

Although many candidates have "critical issues," most stressed the importance of seeking out student opinion for a stance on issues.