Judge divulges safety proposal

District 8 aldermanic candidate and University of Wisconsin sophomore Eli Judge released a campus safety plan Wednesday, addressing issues such as campus watch programs and ways to more effectively communicate with sexual assault victims.

The plan, titled "A Realistic Approach for Safer Streets," specifically expresses disappointment with Police Chief Noble Wray's announcement last week that the Madison Police Department would not change the way it interrogates sexual assault victims.

"I think that rape victims are exactly that — victims — and I don't think they should become a focus of an investigation," Judge said.

The proposal advocates creating a new system for victims to report instances of sexual assault. Under Judge's plan, people would be able to anonymously report assaults online.

The plan also calls for the creation of a campus-wide neighborhood watch program, similar to the current volunteer-based Langdon Street Watch Program.

"I think any extra eyes and ears we have on the streets are going to do at least something to promote the safety of the neighborhoods," Judge said.

Judge is running against UW senior Lauren Woods in this spring's election. The District 8 seat is currently held by City Council President Austin King, who is not seeking re-election this year in order to attend law school.

Woods released her plan for campus safety, titled "A Progressive Plan for Campus Safety," last month.

"What is most ironic is that [Judge's plan] is supposed to be the realistic approach," Woods said. "While I wholeheartedly support volunteerism, I don't think it's effective, or even realistic, to promote a policy where you're relying on volunteers."

While Judge acknowledges a neighborhood watch program will not solve all the crime problems in the campus area — a violent mugging occurred on Langdon Street in late January — he said he feels a campus-wide program could help deter crime.

"I think, if anything, we should hope to get it up just for the sake of having awareness and visibility when it comes to having protection here on campus," Judge said.

The proposal also addresses the new $100,000 Downtown Safety Initiative. While Judge said he supports it overall, he expressed concern about the city's use of surveillance cameras.

"It's definitely a huge concern because (of) privacy being an enormous issue anywhere in this country," Judge said. "I think that it will be essential for the police department to work directly with the public and give full disclosure about how the tapes will be used."

A point of contention during the District 8 campaign has been the issue of whether the city should install more pedestrian-scale lighting. Woods has been an advocate of more lighting, while Judge has expressed concern about effectiveness and the cost of installation.

"If they can erect a new apartment building, then certainly we can have some new streetlights," Woods said. "I just find it highly ironic that my opponent has been a strong advocate of pedestrian-scale lighting, and now he doesn't want to tear up the streets."

The two candidates will face off in the general election April 3.