Young music investors buy Majestic nightclub

Club Majestic might be living up to its name in the near future — if its new owners are able to complete their plans for renovations.

The new owners, two men in their 20s who are involved with the music industry, plan to restore the infamous music venue to its original appearance.

"As they told me, when they first laid eyes on the Majestic Theater, it was love at first sight," said Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, whose district includes the King Street club. "I've met with these guys several times and am very excited about the possibilities here."

The real estate transaction is expected to be completed in mid-May, Verveer said. The venue will undergo renovations this summer and is on track to open this September.

Club Majestic is currently owned by the Schiavo family, who also own the restaurant Café Continental, across the street from the club, and the new restaurant Continental in Fitchburg.

Nick Schiavo said he is happy with the sale.

"I have two businesses across the street, and I wouldn't let anybody buy it who I wasn't comfortable with," Schiavo said.

The Majestic has garnered a dangerous reputation in recent years after a series of violent incidents that occurred outside, including a stabbing after a rap concert.

"Because of its violent reputation, it was never really a place where I wanted to be," said Julia MacCallum, a University of Wisconsin junior.

When it reopens, the venue will only be open if there is an event going on, such as a concert or a movie screening.

Verveer said this might lead the neighborhood to be more supportive of the Majestic's reopening.

"I think that there's a good chance for them to be supportive of this because these guys have pledged to not be a bar or a tavern," Verveer said. "They will be a live music venue first and foremost."

While the Majestic will never be open to just serve alcohol, the owners are applying for a liquor license this spring, and have met with Madison's Alcohol Policy Coordinator Joel Plant.

The owners would like to return the theater to its original state — down to the last detail, Verveer said.

"They've asked me if I could help them get historic photos so they could match the paint colors of the original theater," Verveer said. "That is, in my perspective, very cool."

MacCallum said she is excited about the Majestic becoming more of a life music venue and hopes it will add to the community.

"Another venue just gives more opportunity to those smaller acts who might not be able to make it onto the Orpheum stage, or something that size," MacCallum said.

The two new owners, who are not from Wisconsin, have so far chosen to keep their names private. One is from the East Coast, the other from the Midwest, Verveer said.

"They were both very involved in the music scene at their respective colleges," Verveer said. "For quite some time they have been interested in opening a live music venue, and I think, in particular, in a college town."