Witte Hall hosts mayoral debate

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignright’ width=’336′]MayorDebate_BC[/media-credit]Discussing issues such as downtown safety, Halloween, the proposed Alcohol Density Plan and Madison's transportation system, Mayor Dave Cieslewicz and mayoral candidate Ray Allen showed students their unique — and opposing — viewpoints at a debate Thursday evening.

Catering to a student audience, the debate was held at Witte Residence Hall on the University of Wisconsin campus.

The debate focused on several student-related issues, such as improving student safety on campus, the mayoral relationship with UW and the annual Mifflin Street Block Party. Candidates also shared their hopes for the city of Madison as a whole.

"It is my vision for Madison to be a city of hope and opportunity for all our citizens," Allen said in his opening remarks. "To achieve that, I need [students'] help because they are an important part of Madison."

Cieslewicz also spoke about the significant role students play in the city.

"Students are not only an incredibly important part in the economy of Madison, but also to the culture of our community," Cieslewicz said.

Regarding the issue of State Street on Halloween, however, the two candidates were particularly divided.

"Let's extend the bar time and let people party themselves out," Allen said. "Why can't Halloween be our kind of New Orleans? This is something that's uniquely Madison, and I don't want to put a wet blanket on it."

While Cieslewicz agreed Halloween is a part of Madison's culture, he disagreed with Allen's proposal to extend bar times.

"It would cost us at least $15,000 to $16,000 an hour to keep the bars open later," Cieslewicz said.

Cieslewicz and Allen both showed their concern about Madison's transportation system, in particular the Madison Metro Bus System. The mayor has taken a lot of criticism recently for his electric streetcars proposal.

"We need a comprehensive approach," Cieslewicz said. "We have a great bus system — about 12 million riders a year — and we can't do anything that hurts that."

Among his ideas for improving transportation, Cieslewicz mentioned the purchase of hydroelectric buses, as well as encouraging alternative forms of transportation, such as streetcars and biking.

Allen voiced his concern about other future modes of transportation — like streetcars — detracting from the current bus system.

"My concern about streetcars is that they will erode the bus system, which may raise your cost of riding the bus," Allen said. "We have to do things that encourage people to use our transportation system, such as park-and-rides, because there are people who have to use the bus system."

Among the many other issues discussed were affordable housing, poverty, education, and openness to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community.

UW freshman Nicole Hilsenhoff said she thought the debate focused on real concerns that mattered to students.

"I think, if anything, it informed me more. It was definitely good just to figure out what the actual issues are," Hilsenhoff said. "I feel like a lot of the time I go to vote, and I don't really know the candidates at all."

Students at the debate were invited to fill out absentee ballot requests, as the mayoral election this year will take place on April 3, during UW's spring break.

The next mayoral debate will take place March 3 at the East Buckeye Neighborhood Association.