Mayor endorses Woods in alder race

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz officially endorsed District 8 aldermanic candidate Lauren Woods Wednesday. Woods, a University of Wisconsin senior, is running against UW sophomore Eli Judge. The District 8 seat is currently held by City Council President Austin King, who is not seeking re-election in order to attend law school. "[Cieslewicz] really has a lot of support of students on campus, and I'm just more honored than anything that I have his support," Woods said. "I was hoping for his endorsement, so I'm happy that I got it." Cieslewicz said he supports Woods because her experience working on city committees will make her an effective alder. "He met with both candidates," said Megan McGrorty, campaign manager for Cieslewicz. "However, Lauren's broader experience will give her the edge in representing students on the council." So far this campaign season, Woods has also received endorsements from Dane County Executive Kathleen Falk, the Sierra Club and the Four Lakes Green Party, among others. Woods has also received support from King, who serves as her campaign treasurer. Judge, Woods' opponent, has received many campaign endorsements as well, including from former Madison mayor Paul Soglin. "Endorsements are great, but I'm hoping that whoever represents the 8th District focuses on issues that are important to students," Judge said. The Judge campaign has also received endorsements from the UW's College Democrats, the Dane County Democratic Party Executive Board and Dane County Sheriff Dave Mahoney. Woods and Judge are both supporters of Cieslewicz's campaign for re-election. After garnering about 58 percent of the vote in last week's primary, Cieslewicz will be facing Madison Times owner Ray Allen, who received 30 percent of the primary vote. "I told [Cieslewicz] repeatedly that I was a good friend of his, and that I'd be helping him in his election," Judge said. "I will remain to be a supporter of Mayor Dave in the coming election." McGrorty said the mayor will help with Woods' campaign, in particular with getting students out to vote absentee. UW, in conjunction with the city clerk and some downtown alders, will begin a campaign in the weeks before spring break to encourage students to vote absentee. This year's UW spring break conflicts with the April 3 general election. The efforts will include shuttle vans to take students to and from the City Clerk's Office to vote, tables where students can register and apply for absentee ballots, as well as a mailing to all UW Housing residents with absentee ballot applications and information on how to register. Woods said she hopes Cieslewicz's support will motivate her campaign and voters. "I know that students really value Mayor Dave and really support Mayor Dave," Woods said. "I think he recognizes that this certainly is a strong race on campus." This year's election will also see a race in the student-heavy District 5, where incumbent Ald. Robbie Webber will face challenger Troy Thiel.