City to fine for unshoveled walks

After more than 15 inches of snow covered the Madison area last weekend, the city began ticketing homeowners Tuesday who have not shoveled their sidewalks.

A ticket for a first violation will cost $109, and any subsequent tickets will cost $172. The city will then shovel the snow and charge the homeowner additionally for labor costs.

"It's required under the code, and it's a hazard because people could fall and hurt themselves," said Tom Adamowicz, housing inspection lead worker for the city's department of building inspection. "We consider that important."

If a homeowner's sidewalk is not clear, Adamowicz said inspectors will place a notice on the front door and come back the next day to make sure the sidewalk has been shoveled. Workers started ticketing homes Tuesday, and The Capital Times reported 58 citations had already been issued by yesterday afternoon.

After these two chances are up, city workers will then clear the sidewalk themselves and charge the homeowner.

"[The department of] engineering then goes out the next day and shovels them and charges them for that," Adamowitz said.

Madison received more than 20 inches of snow over a three-day period last weekend, which amounted to about 15 inches of accumulation. According to George Twigg, communications director for Mayor Dave Cieslewicz, this is the largest snowfall in Madison since 1990.

Twigg said road conditions got so hazardous the Madison Metro bus system shut down, and it took city plows extra time to clear roads because of the weight of the snow.

However, most residents have been good about clearing their sidewalks since the blizzard, Twigg added.

"It's really a safety and convenience issue for your neighbors," Twigg said. "You're helping your neighbors; you're helping other people who are trying to get to work or get to school."

Shoveled sidewalks also make travel safer for handicapped people, Twigg said.

Madison is expected to receive 2 to 6 inches of snow between Thursday and Friday, adding to the already large piles around the city.

"The next snow fall, it starts all over again," Adamowicz said. "If we cited them before, we'll give them a $172 ticket instead of a $109 ticket."

In addition to shoveling sidewalks, homeowners are required to clear snow from any fire hydrants near their property.