Booze, bikinis, Madison election

The University of Wisconsin is working in conjunction with the Madison city clerk's office and local alders to encourage students to vote with absentee ballots in April's election, which falls during spring break.

New efforts to organize shuttles to and from the polling place at the city clerk's office will be discussed at a meeting Thursday.

City and university officials also plan to place tables around campus with absentee ballot applications, and an advertising campaign aimed at making students aware of the conflict between this year's spring break and the city's general election will begin soon.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he and City Council President Austin King noticed the election-time conflict last fall.

"Back in December, at the end of last semester, we met with representatives of Chancellor (John) Wiley's office and the city clerk's office to discuss possible ways that we could mitigate the conflict between spring break and the election," Verveer said.

In order to help students fit voting into their class schedules, the city clerk has agreed to stay open past their regular hours. Exact hours are expected to be set at Thursday's meeting.

"We're going to be more available for absentee voting because of the UW spring break and also the Madison Metropolitan School District spring break," Madison City Clerk Maribeth Witzel-Behl said.

In order to vote absentee, a person needs to already be registered to vote. Voters can choose to have the ballot sent to their homes or they can vote in person at the county clerk's office.

"Absentee ballots can only be cast in person prior to the election at the clerk's office," Verveer said. "Unfortunately, the law does not allow for the city clerk's office to open up a satellite office in Memorial Union or Helen C. White or Gordon Commons, to name examples."

Verveer also said the city clerk has agreed to hold extended hours on the Saturdays prior to spring break.

Tables with absentee ballot registration information will be staffed by employees of the county clerk, who will be able to register voters and accept absentee ballot requests. Ballot requests must be in writing with a signature, and cannot be requested online or by telephone.

In addition to helping fund the shuttle vans and advertising campaign, the chancellor's office has also organized for absentee ballot request forms to be delivered to every UW housing resident on campus.

"I am pleased, at this point, with the commitment that has been made by both the city clerk, as well as the chancellor's office, to help mitigate the potential disenfranchisement of students in the April election," Verveer said.

Aside from the mayoral race, April will also see aldermanic races in student-heavy areas, including District 8. King has decided not to seek re-election for the seat he has held since 2003 in order to pursue a law degree.

"I know both candidates — Eli (Judge) and Lauren (Woods) — will be stressing absentee voting for their supporters continuously between now and the election," Verveer said. He added that other student groups, including the College Democrats, have also been working to get students to vote this April.

Final details of the plan are expected to be decided at Thursday's meeting, which will take place at 7:30 p.m. at the Memorial Union. The election will take place April 3.