UW school aids research

The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater announced this week the school has awarded a record number of research grants to undergraduate students this year.

Sixty-one grants, worth an average of $500 each, have been given out to students in disciplines ranging from forensics, history, business, music and dance. The number of grants is up from 46 grants received last year.

"We want to promote that sort of scholarly activity by students across the campus," said Jeff McKinnon, UW-Whitewater's undergraduate research coordinator. "Even in disciplines where you don't think of it."

The funding for the grants comes from sources inside the university, McKinnon said, including tuition and gifts. Students of at least sophomore standing that have a grade point average of at least 2.75 are eligible to apply for a grant.

McKinnon said by working with a faculty mentor, students come up with a research proposal and a budget that is then submitted to see if the university can supply the funding.

"We call it undergraduate research, but it's actually more broadly defined," McKinnon said. "We fund some of the musicians and art students as well, for creative work. We want to be inclusive."

All of the students who receive grant funds are required to submit an abstract to the National Conference on Undergraduate Research, and this conference will be held in San Rafael, Calif. at Dominican University of California from April 12-14.

UW-Whitewater will be sending more than 75 students this year to California, McKinnon said, and each one will present his or her project at the conference.

McKinnon added NCUR allows undergraduates to experience a research conference under less stressful conditions and without their mentors present.

"Their mentor doesn't necessarily have to accompany them [to the conference]. It makes it much more accessible," McKinnon said. "It's a less threatening first experience then some professional conferences where you don't have very many undergraduates presenting."

Nicole Frey is one of the UW-Whitewater students that will be attending NCUR. She has been working under the supervision of McKinnon on her project, which grew out of previous work done by McKinnon on the same subject.

"I am studying the evolutionary effect of the Brown Trout on the spines of the Brook Stickleback found in local Wisconsin creeks," Frey said.

In addition to presenting at NCUR, grant recipients like Frey also present their work locally on campus during the UW-Whitewater Undergraduate Research Day.

The day is made up of theatre and dance pieces as well as poster sessions and oral presentations, Frey said.

"It's a well attended campus event," McKinnon said. "We had the governor there two years ago."