Badgers kick off blood drive

[media-credit name=’BEN CLASSON/Herald photo’ align=’alignnone’ width=’648′]BloodDrive_BC[/media-credit]The University of Wisconsin will compete against seven Big Ten schools to collect more than 1,200 units of blood donations throughout the month of February. The Big Ten Blood Challenge, which began Thursday, is a four-day event at Union South sponsored by UW's Give Life organization and the American Red Cross, which could save more than 3,600 lives. "We're not trying to break any records," said event manager Matt Wornson, the donor recruitment representative for UW from the American Red Cross. "We're trying to have a steady stream of donations, which actually helps out a lot more." The goal of this four-day drive is to acquire 150 units of useable blood each day, which according to Wornson could help more than 450 people on a daily basis. "Hopefully we'll have at least 600 people through the door," said Jamie Witte, team supervisor at the American Red Cross. "It's a good time here, and the college kids are so great to work with." Although the Big Ten Blood Challenge has been going on at other schools for three years, Wornson said this is the first year UW has chosen to participate. "We didn't do it last year even though we really wanted to," Wornson said. "I think the spirit of it is a just really good idea — it's a humanitarian competition and the end result is getting a large blood supply." UW's Give Life organization, which organizes Bucky Blood Drives throughout the school year, has played a large role in hosting the event, including recruiting student volunteers and seeking support from local businesses such as Chipotle, Domino's Pizza and Jimmy John's. "In the past we've held one-day events, but that was maxing out the resources of the Red Cross," said Ben Trachtenberg, UW student and volunteer coordinator for Give Life. "This year we're doing a four-day event, but we want to get the same amount." The Big Ten Blood Challenge is taking the place of the usual Bucky's Record Blood Drive, which collected 840 units last year. According to Wornson, the event this year appears to be on its way to reaching the goal. "We have about 130 appointments today and 140 tomorrow," Wornson said. "But we have a special call to action for Monday and Tuesday — we really need people to come then." Wornson also said the blood donations UW is able to collect will be especially appreciated this year throughout the country. "Due to the cold weather the blood supply is low, so it is going to help a lot," Wornson said. The Bucky Big Ten Blood Challenge drive has three days remaining at Union South: Friday, Feb. 23; Monday, Feb. 26; and Tuesday, Feb. 27.