Alder hopefuls find success in primary

Eight of the 20 Madison City Council seats were subject to primaries Tuesday night, with at least three candidates vying for each alder position.

In District 11, incumbent Ald. Tim Gruber and candidate Chris Schmidt will be moving on to the general election April 3.

"I'm excited and there seems to be a pretty clear mandate for change," Schmidt said.

Candidates Mark Deadman and Satya Rhodes-Conway will face off in the general elections for the soon-to-be-vacant District 12 seat. This position is currently held by Ald. Brian Bedford, who is not seeking re-election.

"I'm talking about core issues, getting back to the business of governing without other agendas, other than doing a good job for the people," Deadman said.

He added he would like to focus on providing his constituents with such services as reliable garbage pick-up and quality roads.

"It's nothing more glorious than that — it's what people want from their government, first and foremost," Deadman said.

Marsha Rummel and Carl DuRocher will face off for the District 6 seat, currently held by Ald. Judy Olson, who is also not seeking re-election.

In District 10, candidates Chris Ogden and Brian Solomon will face off for Ald. Ken Golden's vacant seat, and in District 18 voters will choose between Jon Becker and Michael Schumacher.

"I really come in from a center point of view, and that resonates with people," Schumacher said.

In District 13, candidates Julia Kerr and Duane Steinhauer will vie for Ald. Isadore Knox, Jr.'s vacant seat.

Incumbent Ald. Larry Palm and Vicky Selkowe will face off for District 15, and Joe Clausius and Sarah Florino will face off for Ald. Santiago Rosas' vacant District 17 seat.