Thief fails to escape MPD

The Madison Police Department caught one of two suspects involved in a burglary on the 500 block of West Dayton Street Monday, continuing a recent trend of residential thefts in the campus area.

According to MPD Public Information Officer Mike Hanson, Madison resident Eric Sturkey, 35, and another unidentified suspect entered the home of two University of Wisconsin students while one of the residents was asleep.

While the suspects were in the process of stealing laptops, video games and other electronics, Hanson said, the other resident came home from class and chased Sturkey out of the house and detained him until police arrived. MPD reports said the second suspect is still at large.

Hanson said several other incidents of this nature have been reported throughout the campus area recently, and since police have identified one suspect, they will review the other burglaries and investigate any links between them. But until MPD investigates further, he said linking all the incidents would be "premature."

In any case, Hanson said, it is difficult to identify suspects in residential burglaries.

"It is difficult to track suspects unless sufficient or good evidence is left behind," he added. "It's also difficult to catch them if there's not only no evidence, but no witness statements."

Hanson said the most important thing for students to do to protect their valuables is to lock all windows and doors. The next step, he said, is to warn friends and neighbors of burglary dangers.

"Not everyone watches TV or reads the newspaper," Hanson said. "We need to help them out and let them know these things are happening in any way possible."

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said there has been a spike in residential burglaries in the past month, and that trend will continue, especially when students are out of town for winter break. In most cases, he added, thieves are after expensive electronics they can resell.

UW students should take extra precautions over winter break to protect their valuables, Verveer said, including bringing most valuables home for vacation, hiding any electronics left behind and investing in a light timer to discourage burglars from entering.

"Burglars are not stupid, and they realize many of the homes downtown are vacant for — in some cases — the entire break, and they know the easy pickings," he said. "I always urge students to take all necessary precautions, especially over the break."

Verveer said many thieves responsible for reselling expensive electronic equipment are involved with drugs and dealing with addictions. Sturkey was arrested not just for the burglary Monday, but also for possession of drug paraphernalia. Verveer said Sturkey could face a punishment ranging anywhere from probation to time in prison for both offenses.